How many Forums do you advertise...

I typically won't become a member of a forum simply to advertise.

I find the best form of advertising within a forum, is simply being helpful, trustworthy, and a responsible person.

People tend to notice when you're genuine, compared to when you just want to advertise your services.

Personally I consider signing up to forums with no intent other than to advertise to be just another form of spam.

If you don't contribute to a forum you really shouldn't advertise there. Most people don't take hit and run advertising posts very seriously anyway. They want to see advertising from longer term members.

I agree.

Believe it or not, there have been some people here at HD, that posted random posts just to get the 50 points to buy the rights to post in the market place. That can be extremely irritating.

ANMMark, that happens far too often!
Worse yet, you get people (which I am not one of, but am aware of) who sign up with one nickname, get say 250 points genuinely. Then donate the points to 5 different accounts in order to get 5 access to the marketplace and they then get paid to post their advrets there, on behalf of someone else!
Eish...
~Equinox

Advertising in forums???

I actually re-counted my list, and I have 9 that I rotate through on a monthly basis (as most forums only allow 1 post per week or 1 post bi-monthly). Also, (and keep in mind I am new to this forum, so I am not speaking of this forum) most people in pervious forums I have joined were critical and irate. I posted a solution to someones problem and was basicly "b*tched out" for giving an answer that they didn't like. But, thats why I started this thread was to see what your opinions were, and see if I was wasting my time with 9 or not. Thank you for the input. :dance:

Personally, I prefer to be a member at one forum. I would rather not spend the time going back and forth between a bunch of different ones. I am a member at a few others, but have made very few, if any posts. I have found a great home at HD and I don't intend on leaving anytime soon. And I'm definitely not here to advertise. I think that joining a forum for that purpose is idiotic. You should come somewhere to learn and better yourself and your business, not just to sweep up some cash. The ability to advertise at forums like these should be considered a privilege.

Xcel_Hosting said:
And I'm definitely not here to advertise. I think that joining a forum for that purpose is idiotic. You should come somewhere to learn and better yourself and your business, not just to sweep up some cash. The ability to advertise at forums like these should be considered a privilege.

That being said, I think active members who offer a high quality product should be encouraged to advertise.
Some people do come to these kinds of forums in search of a good host, or to buy a template, or to get graphics work done and there should be a venue for them to find what they are looking for.

Blue said:
That being said, I think active members who offer a high quality product should be encouraged to advertise.
Some people do come to these kinds of forums in search of a good host, or to buy a template, or to get graphics work done and there should be a venue for them to find what they are looking for.

You've pretty much covered everything in my head. :)

Blue said:
If you don't contribute to a forum you really shouldn't advertise there.
Not sure i agree 100% about the need not to advertise - people look in certain threads/parts of the forum for quotes etc, so adding your offers is a valuable source of advertising.

But totally agree that being a member of a forum / community is about helping/sharing/questioning/asking far more than about advertising

People can advertise if they like.
My point is that if your only contribution to the forum is in the advertising threads I don't give you much credibility.
There are many other ways of advertising. I'd be more inclined to trust a host who either pays for advertising or earns it.

I agree with Blue.

I don't think the statements were necessarily regarding, not posting in the advertising forum, but more so ONLY posting in the advertising forum....aka, only signing up, with the intent to only post ads.

I posted a solution to someones problem and was basicly "b*tched out" for giving an answer that they didn't like.
niteanddayhost , I of course cannot really comment about what the true reason was, I have no idea where, what, or who this happened. However, I can only assume that you received that disrespect, because they see you signing up to their forums, for the sole intent of using it as a marketing avenue, and no valuable contribution aside from that? At least that would be my guess, as this very thread seems to imply that this is what you use all of boards for.

I could be wrong though.

I have a very harsh attitude towards advertising on these forums. I think I've posted one advert for my business and a few in the employment section for myself, but as far as I'm concerned, if you are here just to advertise, you're in twouble :p
If there is a thread open with an advert from someone who has 1 post, no points and somehow managed to gain access to post in the Marketplace I am already very suspicious, whereas if an active member (Exon/ANM) for example posted an offer I am definitely going to go and have a look, even if the service doesn't suit me at all!

Thats just my opinion, but credibility is the key here and established members definitely have alot of it in my books!
~Equinox

I agree. If your sole purpose is to come on and avertise your service(s), then you're in for a treat when people catch on... especially when you advertise within the same genre of forums. Since many forums, such as HD and WHT, contain many of the same users, it's hard to get away with things such as "hit-and-run" advertising. You will get shunned, and recieve bad reviews. It will also be difficult for people to trust you.

I personnally feel its more of knowing peoples some or other way related to your business dusicuss some problem learn or help them out .. so its no point in just considering it as an advertiment place but more like a newspaper to know updated learn more everyday best part is you can even add your comment :)...

I echo Mark on this one.. I don't become a member of a community with the thought of advertising my product or service. If I join a community its to get to know the members and to provide, in anyway I can, some value back to the community. People recognize and appreciate that and though you may not see short term results all the time, it can pay off well in the end as you build a solid reputation.

-Jonathan