How do you login to your customer's FTP?

vito

I know that if I absolutely need to login to a customer's cPanel to assist with a problem, I can do it with the customer's username and my server root password. However, that doesn't work for FTP. How do I access a customer's site with, let's say CuteFTP?

I have tried...

ftp.mycustomerdomain.com

Customer's username

My server root password

...but that doesn't work.

Vito

The problem is that I don't know his pw as he has changed it a few times. He has asked me to help with a problem and I'd like to solve it asap. Short of emailing him for his new pw (he takes forever to reply), is there no other way?

I suppose I could always use the command line, but I suck at that, so I prefer to avoid it.

Vito

Vito,

Remember when I sent you SSH secure shell? Use that. It's an FTP client, just like any other. The difference is that you login with root, and then navigate to the directory in question (/home/username/public_html)

Simon

Last edited:
Thank you, Simon. That did the trick. SSH secure shell is a fantastic program and it allowed me to do what I have to do.

:D

Vito

Blue said:
Is it anything that can be solved using "File Manager" in cPanel Vito?
Sorry, didn't see that post, Blue.

You're right, File Manager will give me access to the Mail folder. For some reason I had thought that it wouldn't.

Vito

Yup. If we need ftp access to a client's account we'll first try to use cpanel file manager... and if that doesn't work (usually works fine), then we'll ask the client to supply their password as a "security confirmation".

They appreciate our extra security, and we get the password. We both win!

:)