Host-talk.net

CS_Jonathan

Account Disabled
Hello,

I would like to see how much host-talk.net would be worth. I am just curious to how a domain can be more expensive than each other.

Can anyone give me any examples of expensive domains and normal domains so I can look into it.

Thanks!

I've seen hostingtalk.com for sale recently around $100.

Now, if it was .NET, that would have been $70-80. If there was a dash "hosting-talk.net, that would have been $40-60. Lookingat Overture data, more people search for "hosting" than "host", so that drops the value to around $25-35 max.

Best,

Well, domain registratio only cost $8.88 so that is quite good. Once the forum has started to get popular do you think the value of the domain wil rise?

I think that once the site does get more popular the value of the domain will increase.

What are the reasons to why people will purchase a domain for a higher price, apart from the rarity.

If you stop to think about it, one domain is no rarer than any other....There can only be one "xyz.com", just as there can only be one "hostingdiscussion.com". What makes one more valuable (or perceived to be more valuable) is how broad of a market--and what market--the name can be applied to. For example, "men.com" recently sold for over a $1M US, but the potential market for a site built around that name is roughly half the population of the world. On the other hand, "tomsbikeshop.com" has a very limited potential market both in the customers of any site developed and in any potential buyers for the name itself. Someone named Frank the Tailor would have no use for "tomsbikeshop.com" but could probably do something with "men.com".

There are several other factors which might affect the value of a name, such as existing site, with or without traffic, how much traffic, reputation of site, links to the site, etc. but most of the discussions seen on boards such as this one involve only a name without a site or traffic so those can often be discounted.