Help with choosing the right Win2000 ISP

investorguid

Hi, we have a site which requires Win2000, SQL Server 2000 and ASP 3.0. We also need to be able to install custom dll on server and write stored procedures to the sql server.

Any suggestions on who provides good reliable win2000 packages? We are looking for shared hosting and are willing to pay up to $150.

In our own search we found:
1. Hostway
2. Media3.net
3. Vortechhosting
4. Windowswebhost
5. Intermedia.net

Has anyone worked with these ISPs before? What sort of reputation do they have and is this a good list or should we look harder?

Thanks for your help!
Investorguide

Have you questioned any of them about the DLLs? Most ISP will not load custom DLLs as a security measure.

Yes all the 5 ISPs I specified will allow us to install our custom dll.

Are there any you feel are good or bad?

Thank you,
Investorguide

Hi Investorguide,

Your picks are all huge well-known companies. I've heard of all of them, but I've never used them myself, thus I cannot comment on how good or bad they are. The best thing you can do is visit Better Business Bureau at www.bbb.org and look at their profiles - if they have satisfactory or unsatisfactore customer experience profiles.

To select the host for you - e-mail them, ask questions, test them - see how fast and how easy they explain stuff and respond.

The disadvantage of many huge companies is that they more likely will not build up a custom package specifically for you and your needs.

If you really want a custom package, what you can do is post your exact quote at Hosting Requests forum here on this forum and member-hosts will respond and probably even beat the offer you want with a better price for you. Because if a company offers what you're looking for and the company knows that they can provide service for you not worse (and maybe even better) than those on your list - they cannot make offers to you on this general forum.

In the meantime, good luck in your search!

Best,

All are very well known comapnies. I would search these and other forums to see what other people are saying about there services/support. I personally have not done business with any of them and therefore cannot comment on their levels of support.

With the diligence you are using searching for the right provider, I'm sure you will find the right solution.