Gender neutrality reaches SEO professionals.

Artashes

Administrator
Staff member
SEO is about to get a lot more gender-neutral.

Google products are to encourage users to choose non-gendered language to avoid the risk of causing offence. People writing words such as “chairman” or “postman” in a Google Doc will soon be offered more “inclusive” alternatives. For example, if a user writes “chairman”, a pop-up message will suggest changing the word to “chairperson”.
Source: thetimes.co.uk

Get your websites up to 2021 standards, ladies and gents. I mean humans. I mean... am I allowed to say humans without offending anyone?

Gender-neutral datacenters and non-binary hosting companies next. 🤦‍♂️

Some people identify as a cat, so we can't even say humans ;)

I have a mixed opinion on the fluidness requirement for names. I think "congressman" and "congresswoman" are perfectly fine names, and personally don't see the reason for "congressperson" - but then I'm also not struggling with my identity, so I'm not in someone else's shoes.

I did see in early 2020 that they wanted to change the name "webmaster" as "master" offended some people. I just did a quick look in Google's archives and it seems the "webmaster" discussion was around even in 1997 - https://groups.google.com/g/alt.usage.english/c/XBj-UB5boks

They even brought up the "Master of Arts" degree and how that can be sexist.

Google and Bing are doing their best, but sometimes I feel the need for a change is overreaching. (overreaching is not the word I want to use, I don't know what word I'm looking for. It's not "stupid", or "wasteful", or "outterworldly" but there's a word for what I'm trying to say)

I did see in early 2020 that they wanted to change the name "webmaster" as "master" offended some people.

They even brought up the "Master of Arts" degree and how that can be sexist.
Humanity (I am using it instead of the sexist term "mankind") has clearly entered a phase that has a shot at ending things.

Get your websites up to 2021 standards, ladies and gents. I mean humans. I mean... am I allowed to say humans without offending anyone?
Nouns in English language already don't have genders. It's hard to imagine how our language should be mangled to achieve at least partly the same neutrality.. Like one guy is saying - "The end is nigh".