Fantastico

BlackStorm

As a hosting customer, would you want an account which includes fantastico?
Would it swing you in favor of one host over another?

For anyone that doesnt know what fantastico is, its a script which is used to provide a method to install scripts very easily by filling in a few details and clicking a few buttons. It includes scripts like phpbb, invision, shopping carts etc.

Yeah that is a problem with fantastico, it comes with old versions of scripts which have to be updated.
If it updated the scripts when a new version was available automatically I would find it a lot more useful.
I think most scripts available to install through fantastico at the minute are at least one version behind the current

Yeah, it's nice for the beginners..But for the other ppl it's useless I think..
I've also got Fantastico, but I've never used it (only once for trying it out) I've installed invision board as normal cause I wanted to install 1.3 and the fantastico version was 1.1.1 (not even 1.2)

There are a few limitations on the scripts through fantastico too, I know the username has a limit on the number of characters for the admin on invision, think its the same for phpbb.
You also cant install invision or phpbb to the root directory in your account.
I had a few problems when I tested it out just to see how it worked and if it was any good.

It is a lot easier for beginners but if you can install it yourself its better to go that way.

Didn't knew about the limit of the admin name :)
But it's not a problem that you can't install it in the root..
(easy for IPDymanic lite :lol: )

I have a few forums installed in the root dir, Hosting-Talk.net for example ;)
A few of my sites are based around a forum so having the forum installed in the root is the best thing to do, I could do a splash screen but its easier to just put it straight into the root.

I used fantastico to install an invision for another site of mine and I have to use a splash screen on that because there was a problem trying to move it into the root folder after installing..
That was one of the things that put me off using fantastico

Well, you can use Fantastico to install, but if you try to move it to another folder, you have to edit the config_global.php :)
There you can edit the url of the board and then the board is working again in the new folder :lol:
But you just have to know that..

With the new Invision Board you can better install it in a folder like "forums" or "forum" because you can use the portal IpDynamicLite
You put the index.php in the root and the forum in the folder "forums" or "forum" and then you can use the portal with Invision Board which is not installed in the root..

Take a look at www.mbforums.org (it's no advertising!!) there you can see the portal..If you take a look at www.mbforums.org/forums then you see the forum..
So it's no problem that Fantastico isn't installing it in the root :)

PS: Do you still understand it? It's like "blah blah" when I read this post after writing it :lol:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tombarko8