Ever made good money from domains?

wsac

WHMCS Developer
I'm curious to see if any1 here has made good or even decent (which is subjective of course) amount of money selling domains?

If yes, what domain? Developed? Undeveloped?

Please share!

I remember someone said a family member of theirs made $500 000 from a domain but cant remember who said it im afraid.

I have never made any money from a domain, never sold one before so havent tried to be honest.
I have had people offer me domains but they were looking for a huge amount, far too much in my opinion so I didnt take them

Nah....its little profit in domains these days unless you got enough weight to pull what RS did......they managed to get a deal for x amount and sell their domains for $5 plus tax.

They sold thousands.......so in that scale they would have made a nice earner from it.

But BT in the UK still manage to charge something like £90 odd for .com renewal.....so.......who knows!!

Well, if you own a 2 Letter Domain Name you can sell it from $10.000 :eek:

I would like to have one for $20 :bawling:

heh :cheers:

How much money you think MSN would pay for a domain like MSN.net? (if they did not have it for some weird reason)

Bet a big company like that would give millions..

wouldnt MSN just go to court for Copyright and trademark rights to the domain and sweep it from your control?

im sure this has happened before with a different large company

Yep it would just happen.
If they owned the trademark before the domain was registered then they can get the domain very easily.
You cant really buy a domain of a big company if they have a trademark which they registered before you reg the domain

I beg to differ on that last comment John.

Say I own MSN.NET as we were talking about earlier... then MSN.COM becomes really popular and wanted to take MSN.NET from me. As long as I was using the domain for something around MSN.NET I could keep the domain with ease.

I could even make something up and MSN.NET be for "Michael S Newtons home page" I put a fake resume up or something.

As long as the domain is in use for something legit... you have to BUY it from the user. You can not just take it by going through the court process.

I actually have a funny story regarding this matter. 2 years ago I while designing a web page for a friend, someone that he knew called on the phone asking for help on what he could do to keep his domains. He owned NBCentertainment.com , NBCMovies.com, NBCnetwork.com
He owned those domains just because he previously used to work for NBC and when he got fired he thought he would buy them just to piss them off. NBC (Television network) threatened to sue him for not selling the domains. He won the case... he made NBC stand for some sort of Critics company... and they would rate critique certain things.

I dont know if he owns the domain still today.... but NBC didnt just take it from him.

I had to get ride of a domain "realtorsoftware.net" because the name realtor was copyrighted to the realtor community. Well, I just desided to delete it to advoide any problems. Wasn't really using it anyhow. That was about 2 years ago.

I feel lucky here since we got M6.Net (2 letters).

We have never sold any existing/registered domain. But we are reseller of Enom and allow our clients to register their domains. I won't say we are making much profit out of it, but something is better then nothing.

Client found it convenient too when they can register their domain name through their web hosting company, easy to manage DNS.

If you are a web hosting company and not selling/reselling domain registration, I will strongly suggest you to do so. It is also good for promotion.

M6.Net said:
I feel lucky here since we got M6.Net (2 letters).

We have never sold any existing/registered domain. But we are reseller of Enom and allow our clients to register their domains. I won't say we are making much profit out of it, but something is better then nothing.

Client found it convenient too when they can register their domain name through their web hosting company, easy to manage DNS.

If you are a web hosting company and not selling/reselling domain registration, I will strongly suggest you to do so. It is also good for promotion.

Well, providing Domains to Customers is always a good way to offer Shared Hosting :D

During the beanie baby craze a couple of years ago, I bought tybeaniebabies.com and beaniebabies.com because for some stupid reason Tyco didn't own them - I guess they were too busy paying for Roman Toga Parties for the executives.

Anyway, I posted them for sale on eBay and Tyco came down on me like a ton of bricks.

They had to buy the domains from me, but my attorney suggested that they would probably win if I fought it - oh well.

Then, when the XFL started up - I thought with the kind of marketing experience "rassling" had behind it, there would be a big rush.

I bought xflfan.com, xflworld.com, and a couple of others.

Couldn't give the damned things away.

Back in the good old days, you used to be able to long onto the internic and register a domain and hld it for 90 days before you got invoiced - I made a lot of money in those days buying and reselling- sigh.

John

Vovex Technology said:
I could even make something up and MSN.NET be for "Michael S Newtons home page" I put a fake resume up or something.

As long as the domain is in use for something legit... you have to BUY it from the user. You can not just take it by going through the court process.

That might depend on the company. I think it's pretty hard to win against Microsoft, they won a fight over the name mikerowesoft.com which had been registered by someone called Mike Rowe. I can't remember when.