Domain reselling questions for everyone

jackiebeans

Okay - here is a question for all of you that resell domains.... With all the registrars out there to choose from, what did or do you look for when choosing the organization to go woth? Was it service, new domain prices, number of TLD and SLD? The number of domains you currently have under your control? Or something else.

My question is kind of biased, because I work for a wholesale group of a registrar. I am not here to sell anyone anything as there are 1000's of hosting companies, CLEC's, etc. for me to go after, but here to learn why you made the descisions you did so I can understand the market more effectively.

You do not have to reply with your name or company name, but please let me know what your thought pattern was. . . Thanks.

I made my decision based on my automation software, Whois.Cart(). They offered a price deal through Directi so I thought, hey...might as well give it a try. I didn't take much time to look into the options, although I did look at enom and was not very impressed with their reseller program. I am very happy with the way Directi is setup. It gives you the most control over how and what you sell.

I first started out with Enom, simply because it was the first one I knew about at the time and I got a pretty decent price though ModernBill as the parent reseller. Now my primary registrar is DirectI. DirectI offers a low price and zero down payment to get the first level of reseller pricing and works great with Whois.Cart.

jackiebeans said:
what did or do you look for when choosing the organization to go woth? Was it service, new domain prices, number of TLD and SLD? The number of domains you currently have under your control? Or something else.

Wherever possible we would like to deal with the topmost / central registrar, removing the possible "layers" that can lead to problems ... so we chose

Nominet for the .uk's as they are the Registry

initially OpenSRS for the .com/net/org's but moved to enom due to better price, availablity of prewritten api front ends and the sub-account features.

Centralnic for the .cc.tld (e.g. .gb.com/eu.com etc) as the Registry