Does Magento really require specific hosting environment?

Artashes

Administrator
Staff member
I was talking to a small business owner the other day and he complaint that he has been paying way too much for hosting his site with a company because his site runs on Magento. I have had zero experience with the software, but does it really require any specifically optimized server environment or will it do just as good on any regular hosting?

Hi...
Magento is resource-heavy and performs best on servers optimized for its specific requirements. Regular shared hosting often struggles to handle its demands, especially as traffic increases. For optimal performance, it's recommended to use VPS, dedicated, or cloud hosting tailored for eCommerce platforms.

Depending what he's doing with Magento he may also have to have custom packages installed on the server. As @Saranya Subramaniam said, it's a very resource heavy platform and definitely not recommended for budget hosts. Of course, that all depends on the number of products they're running and what they're having done, but overall, the database is larger in Magento usually so that's going to require an optimal setup, especially when it starts getting traffic.

In nearly every Magento setup that I used to work in we had a dedicated server (not even a VPS, it was a full dedicated machine) as the I/O for memory and disk was pretty heavy, but you can get better caching and can install extra server packages when you have that full control too.

The last Magento website I worked with had to be scaled up to a dedicated server to perform half decently. This was a while ago so things may have improved.

WooCommerce has it's warts and I've seen scaling issues with stores with 1M+ products but would still prefer it over Magento any day.

There are also a few things Magento relies on that you typically don't find on regular shared hosting, Elasticsearch being one of them.

Back