Do you disallow any scripts?

BlackStorm

Are there any scripts that you do not allow on your servers?
A lot of hosts disallow cgi forums because they are server intensive.

We allow most scripts to be run. But if I see my system resources being eaten up.... I would definately contact that user and let them know whats going on, maybe give them a few options for expanding their account or maybe switching sfotware that uses less resources.

we do not allow any form of Matt's Formmail script (formmail.pl, formmail.cgi, etc) that can be used as a tool for outside spammers to spam email. Customers are aware of this and any scripts that are found (locate formmail* is cronjob weekly) are deleted without warning...

<!--QuoteBegin-GordyMac+Oct 20 2003, 07:45 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (GordyMac @ Oct 20 2003, 07:45 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> We allow just about anything, as long as you are not killing the server with a massive load. [/b][/quote]
ditto :)

<!--QuoteBegin-Mark+Oct 20 2003, 09:17 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Mark @ Oct 20 2003, 09:17 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> we do not allow any form of Matt's Formmail script (formmail.pl, formmail.cgi, etc) that can be used as a tool for outside spammers to spam email. Customers are aware of this and any scripts that are found (locate formmail* is cronjob weekly) are deleted without warning... [/b][/quote]
I like this policy

<!--QuoteBegin-Andrew+Oct 21 2003, 01:12 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Andrew @ Oct 21 2003, 01:12 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> <!--QuoteBegin-Mark+Oct 20 2003, 09:17 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Mark @ Oct 20 2003, 09:17 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> we do not allow any form of Matt's Formmail script (formmail.pl, formmail.cgi, etc) that can be used as a tool for outside spammers to spam email.  Customers are aware of this and any scripts that are found (locate formmail* is cronjob weekly) are deleted without warning... [/b][/quote]
I like this policy [/b][/quote]
Even though I think it is like putting a leash on :) it is indeed a very good policy.

ive had over 800 emails in outgoing queue from matt's formmail in some servers. After I put the policy in affect, it stopped 100%. There are also more efficient scripts out there that do not show your password and cannot be spammed from. I provide users with links to very easy to setup scripts. Hardly a leash since you still have over 300 options.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zentekinfosoft