Did anyone start offering preconfigured Mastadon servers/services?

bigredseo

HD Community Advisor
Staff member
Just curious if any hosts have taken advantage of the open nature of Mastadon and offered pre-configured servers for users?

Since the entire system is decentralized, anyone can configure a server. It's then up to them to advertise to get users to join.

I haven't seen any hosts in my feeds just yet offering preconfigured servers. It might be worth exploring and seeing if there is any revenue/profit to be made by offering it.

Interesting topic. I've heard of Mastadon, but never looked into how it operates, out of my lack of interest in social networks. I just looked into the search volume for a couple keywords in the USA, Canada, UK and Australia, and there seems to be a growing opportunity developing.

Screenshot 2023-01-03 at 8.56.30 PM.png

Definitely, if someone was looking to get in, they need to get in now :)

"mastodon website" and "mastodon software" are really hard to rank for, but the traffic potential is in the tens of thousands (28k & 14k per month, respectively).

Even variations of "instance" or "setup" are generating traffic, and "how to" or "where to find" type queries are starting to gain traffic.

I don't know what's involved in creating instances or configurations with the Mastodon software, but there's traffic out there for the taking :)

This is interesting
Just curious if any hosts have taken advantage of the open nature of Mastadon and offered pre-configured servers for users?

Since the entire system is decentralized, anyone can configure a server. It's then up to them to advertise to get users to join.

I haven't seen any hosts in my feeds just yet offering preconfigured servers. It might be worth exploring and seeing if there is any revenue/profit to be made by offering it.
this is interesting!
Will look into it.I also think the you can request for it from the hosting company

We have actually been thinking about this in the last few weeks, because we have a couple of clients that we have setup Mastodon instances for, and it's definitely something that interest in is just exploding (Thanks Elon).

I don't know what's involved in creating instances or configurations with the Mastodon software

It's pretty straightforward for small instances. Mastodon scales well to run on multi-server setups, but in the small instances that we are hosting at the moment, we are running the app and database on a VPS and offloading all of the image storage, etc. to our S3 compatible object storage.