Configuring addon domain

Mr. Nx

Okay, now i have registered a new domain from my previous same host and have also added it as addon domain. However, typing mynewdomain.com gives the error not found. Any idea whats wrong? I checked my dns propagation state and it is doing fine. Do i need to change nameservers? (i think its not needed being the same host and registrar)

by the way i created the subdomain folder name with CAPITAL LETTERS and redirected addon domain to it

Okay, now i have registered a new domain from my previous same host and have also added it as addon domain. However, typing mynewdomain.com gives the error not found. Any idea whats wrong? I checked my dns propagation state and it is doing fine. Do i need to change nameservers? (i think its not needed being the same host and registrar)

by the way i created the subdomain folder name with CAPITAL LETTERS and redirected addon domain to it

nameservers and IPs would need to be the same as the main domain so that it points to the server. also DNS propagation can take upto 72 hours to fully propagate.

Okay i got you.

Actually its already two days since registration and my registrar says 48 hours max.
Is it okay to create the subdomain folder in the same home directory containing public_html or it has to be inside public_html??

Okay i got you.

Actually its already two days since registration and my registrar says 48 hours max.
Is it okay to create the subdomain folder in the same home directory containing public_html or it has to be inside public_html??

propagation can take upto 72 hours although mostly this takes place within 24 hrs unless you use 123-reg as they take a full 72 hours.

if you create sub directories through cpanel these are created within the main domains public_html folder

Go to www.intodns.com, enter your domain name, make sure everything is correct. If there are any errors on that page, contact your web hosting company and ask them to investigate and resolve.

It's OK to have subdomains inside the /public_html. Personally, I prefer to have them OUTSIDE of the /public_html so that I can separate them easier. It also helps stop other FTP users from accessing areas of the site that they wouldn't normally be able to see.

cPanel permits both inside and outside of the public_html folder, however many hosts restrict users to making them only inside the public_html.

www.intodns.com, wont work with sub domains

Work in progress!
Follow IntoDNS on Twitter
Can't get nameservers at parent server!<br>I only check domains not subdomains!

cpanel by default if you use the sub domain or addon domain links will place the folders within the public_html folder

Last edited:
Go to www.intodns.com, enter your domain name, make sure everything is correct. If there are any errors on that page, contact your web hosting company and ask them to investigate and resolve.

It's OK to have subdomains inside the /public_html. Personally, I prefer to have them OUTSIDE of the /public_html so that I can separate them easier. It also helps stop other FTP users from accessing areas of the site that they wouldn't normally be able to see.

cPanel permits both inside and outside of the public_html folder, however many hosts restrict users to making them only inside the public_html.

sir, i have tried your link and few things are shown as not ok. I am worried!
Can you please take a look for me and make me understand? Here is my domain www.nagasforum.com

www.intodns.com, wont work with sub domains
True, but this is an Add-ON Domain that they were registering. The Sub Domain factor comes into play as cpanel makes both an Add-ON and SubDomain, but as long as you're checking a root level domain, it should give the results.

cpanel by default if you use the sub domain or addon domain links will place the folders within the public_html folder
Actually, the default setting in cPanel is to ALLOW creation of subdomains outside of the public_html folder;

Code:
Prevent users from creating subdomains outside of their public_html directory
By default, that setting is OFF, meaning that users can create subdomains outside of public_html. Have a look under the Tweak Settings and you'll see the setting for "public_html subdomains only"

True, but this is an Add-ON Domain that they were registering. The Sub Domain factor comes into play as cpanel makes both an Add-ON and SubDomain, but as long as you're checking a root level domain, it should give the results.
Conor this is what you get when you check an addon domain or sub domain in IntoDNS as currently cpanel treats addon domains as sub domains

Work in progress!

Actually, the default setting in cPanel is to ALLOW creation of subdomains outside of the public_html folder;

By default, that setting is OFF, meaning that users can create subdomains outside of public_html. Have a look under the Tweak Settings and you'll see the setting for "public_html subdomains only"

looks like i will need to contact cpanel as you are right (never too much notice of this) but when i set an addon domain or sub domain it will only allow this set within the public_html folder

Conor this is what you get when you check an addon domain or sub domain in IntoDNS as currently cpanel treats addon domains as sub domains

This should not be happening on your server, something is configured incorrectly in cPanel if that's the case.

For example - http://www.omahaseoexpert.com is an Add-on domain I just created
The main account is http://www.bigredseo.com

If you go to http://omahaseoexpert.bigredseo.com you'll see the same information.

If you now go to http://www.intodns.com and do a lookup for the Add-On Domain "www.omahaseoexpert.com" you should get VALID information returned for the domain name, just as if it was on it's own account.

If you're not getting valid information returned, then something is not configured correctly on your server.

This should not be happening on your server, something is configured incorrectly in cPanel if that's the case.
Hi Conor

Its not just me

http://forum.whmcs.com/showthread.php?62962-Add-on-Domains-or-Cpanel

I have also contact cpanel and they agree that at present addon domains are treat as sub domains, but they are going to fix this issue in the near future.
my issue with these only being placed in the public_html foder was a bug in the last version of WHM, but has been fixed in the recent release.

Hi Conor

Its not just me

http://forum.whmcs.com/showthread.php?62962-Add-on-Domains-or-Cpanel

I have also contact cpanel and they agree that at present addon domains are treat as sub domains, but they are going to fix this issue in the near future.

Wasn't sure if this thread was about add-on domains or add-on sites. Yes, c-panel does not support true add-on sites. They are subdomains aliased to the add-on site's domain name and subfolders of the home folder. Some people see this as a security risk since access to the home folder means access to all sites.

Any explanation why we don't have any issues on our servers in our network? I've checked with the other system admins here and nobody has modified cPanel code to make things work any differently than a base install.

Clarification of terms;

Parked domain = domain1 and domain2 point to the same place (this is not what we're talking about here)
Subdomain = sub.domain.com
Add-On Domain = domain2.com added to domain1.com inside single control panel - auto creates FTP and Subdomain link. Folder for site files is created inside or outside /public_html

Any add-on domain I've ever created, I've been able to utilize the intodns.com site to verify settings are made correctly. Seems odd that it would work for us, and not others - especially since we haven't done anything custom to make this work.

Any explanation why we don't have any issues on our servers in our network? I've checked with the other system admins here and nobody has modified cPanel code to make things work any differently than a base install.

Clarification of terms;

Parked domain = domain1 and domain2 point to the same place (this is not what we're talking about here)
Subdomain = sub.domain.com
Add-On Domain = domain2.com added to domain1.com inside single control panel - auto creates FTP and Subdomain link. Folder for site files is created inside or outside /public_html

Any add-on domain I've ever created, I've been able to utilize the intodns.com site to verify settings are made correctly. Seems odd that it would work for us, and not others - especially since we haven't done anything custom to make this work.

no idea even IntoDNS wont allow subs to be checked.

Work in progress!

According to cpanel documentationl:

"an addon domain allows a new domain name to link to a subdirectory of your account. The addon domain’s files will be stored in a subdirectory of your public_html folder."

Also:

"Creating an addon domain in the cPanel interface automatically creates a subdomain"

As I recall this subdomain is domain2.domain1.com. In the background this subdomain is aliased to domain2.com. In other words, other than the URL, the new site is treated as a subdomain. Thus, c-panel does not support true multi-domain hosting

Wasn't sure if this thread was about add-on domains or add-on sites. Yes, c-panel does not support true add-on sites. They are subdomains aliased to the add-on site's domain name and subfolders of the home folder. Some people see this as a security risk since access to the home folder means access to all sites.

thank you dear, much of my doubts as a newbie are clear and have also managed to configure my addon domain with helps from everyone here.

Now, as a noob your statement makes me rethink. Is it really a security risk to have addon domain? (i am a noob and security is a priority concern, i may fail to troubleshoot if risk is high)

Now, as a noob your statement makes me rethink. Is it really a security risk to have addon domain? (i am a noob and security is a priority concern, i may fail to troubleshoot if risk is high)

we provide our clients the ability to use the addon domains, but personally as a host i prefer users to set up reseller account and give each domain their own account/cpanel.

thank you dear....

Aww....shucks :eek:

Because the add-on domains' files reside in subdirectories of the home site anyone with access to the home site will have access to all the add-on domains. The add-on sites are in the same "hosting space" as the main site. Thus if your home site is hacked then its likely that all of your add-on sites will also be hacked.

This is true of cpanel. Not all control panels use that configuration. I believe add-on sites created by DirectAdmin, Plesk and Helm are created in their own hosting space -- in other words the add-on site has the same structure and on the same level as your home site. There may be others.

The concern with the domain is due to capital letter of the folder of subdoamin, please check that first...