Cloud Migration

SenseiSteve

HD Moderator
Staff member
Regarding cloud solutions, something a lot of prospects don’t consider is the migration path should their requirements change. Will they be locked in to their existing cloud solution? Some portion of their cloud service may remain the same between providers, but stuff like database abstraction layers and object based storage often have very different APIs. On the other hand, if you’re using a dedicated server with a cPanel or Plesk hosting control panel, migration to another provider is fairly simple.

Is this an accurate observation?

I wish I was a bigger expert than I am, but from the logic of things, a cloud setup has got to be a more complicated move than a dedicated box. It's not just the same servers, databases and software products. Case in point, when Google offered a huge credit to sway one of my companies' cloud setups to their infrastructure, it turned out that in spite of free cash, moving our product was not a feasible idea, because of different software layers in use, that would have required modifying a bunch of things on our end. That not only represented a lot of work for our developers, but our existing setup was more economical in the long-term. Judging based on that experience alone I'd agree with this observation.

I guess in a lot of ways it depends on what you're needing. If you're moving from one cloud provider to another, and you're still getting your PHP, MySQL etc - then the move is quite painless.

We've moved hosting accounts from AWS to Google Cloud - but the offering of service architecture was identical.

The only issue I've run into is when a path or database location is hard coded - then it's just a matter of updating the path (which should all be in a single file because developers are awesome and document where they put things) :)

My experience with Cloud only extends to WordPress based e-commerce accounts, with some custom hard-coded sites thrown in for good measure.

As mentioned by others it all depends on the situation and source/destination platform. there is plenty tool nowadays that allows less painful migration from one cloud to another or even migration dedicated server to cloud solution as well. So in fact, in regards to cloud-cloud migration, all depends on hypervisors on both locations and their possibilities and how various part of the software is implemented/hardened. For example, you can perform migration from one Vmware cloud solution to another, which gives plain migration just some internal configuration changes. So at first, you need to detail your "case".