Build your own data center

Having a server is not a data center. You put a server IN a data center.

Think infrastructure like a secure building (with multiple layers of physical security), redundant power grid feeds, redundant UPS / power systems, redundant backup generators, redundant HVAC, etc. Keep in mind redundant means at least n + 1. The +1 not only means you need at least one more than required to make things work. It also adds at least 125% to the cost of buying and maintaining each system because you need to have automatic fail-over systems that connect the n and the +1 together.

I can go on, but you get the picture.

Having a server is not a data center. You put a server IN a data center.

Think infrastructure like a secure building (with multiple layers of physical security), redundant power grid feeds, redundant UPS / power systems, redundant backup generators, redundant HVAC, etc. Keep in mind redundant means at least n + 1. The +1 not only means you need at least one more than required to make things work. It also adds at least 125% to the cost of buying and maintaining each system because you need to have automatic fail-over systems that connect the n and the +1 together.

I can go on, but you get the picture.

This is quite an old thread and probably didn't need to be bumped. But for my input I have to agree that you should first obtain customers and then do this venture properly.

For a success story though look at HostDime, they started out with no clients and grew to just 200 servers which is when they built their first in-famous Orlando datacentre. Now look at them.

I would agree it's not recommended at all even if you had the internet connection which you probably wouldn't - there's so many things to worry about like power, data, switches, routers, load balancers, heat/temperature, etc.

Do you think it is possible to build a data center at home one server at a time. How would you start

I would not reccomend it. There are lots and lots of things you have to look for when building a datacenter. Think off security, colling, power and so on:)

I agree datacenters are no joke. Require several million in infrastructure is required. I would recommend partnering with a datacenter and do co-localization.

Data Center sure requires lot of electricity, to be said, industrial grade. So you need to be sure, to find location, cost involved and government rules, regulations.

It can cost for over 20 Millions USD, in certain location.

If you mean a small home datacenter then yes it possible. you can call 2 old dell computer in a cluster a datacenter. Building servers are really cool and it bring me so much joy and satisfaction. I would start by getting some old computer (one is enough) or build a small itx system and install some software, keep it running in some dedicated space at home for 24/7 and taadaaa 1 server datacenter. Treat it more like a project. if you use it commercially then contact your isp to give you high speed internet and business needed things. Make some cash and expand. without a whole truck of cash you cant do much more, but it looks like a cool idea. O a keep the server in a cool place, i have mine running on my patio in a plastic box outside so im not worried about heat

I took a look at your links and the "Black Box" by SUN is a great idea :agree:

Know anyone who's tried it?

The cheapest one I could find is the Dell Pan Datacenter-In-A-Box at $99,000.
http://business.itbusinessnet.com/articles/viewarticle.jsp?id=839954

Here's a good comparison of these as of 2009: http://www.datacentermap.com/blog/datacenter-container-55.html

This is actually nice thing. If you can connect to your box few internet connections and redundant power supply it will be good.
OVH is using this technology:
http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/archives/2012/06/13/ovh-deploys-container-cube-data-center/