Benefits collocation servers

If i were ever to colo then I would have to be within 1hrs of the DC, but at the moment the nearest DC to me is 300 miles away, so well outside the 1hr as if over 1hr to get to DC then colo really does not work

In the long run you save money on it and you own the hardware, on the short run it is expensive to setup at first and ship but it will last you and dont have to pay more than the server itself monthly.

How up to date are you?

I don't think it always makes sense to go colo?

If you have rock-solid hardware and you want to keep sweating it for a long time, this might make sense.

If you are agile and changing with changes in hardware you might want to rent?

Also do you want to keep adding servers, with all of the licensing costs, or upgrading rented servers to bigger rented servers?
I realise nobody wants one massive server, but do you want 50 small servers or 10 chunky servers to manage? etc.

Does your provider offer the DDoS Protection and network management to your colo boxes as it does to their managed boxes?

It costs less, while providing a secure environment to host your servers in. You don't have to worry about rising costs of power from in-house infrastructures because that is handled by the data center and saving passed on to you.

You get better connectivity, better security and a better overall experience than if you were to host it in your own facility or area (or closet).

Much better bang for your buck, unless you don't have much experience. Remote hands can get costly very quickly.

Disadvantages i'd say are remote hands fees, sometimes they really **** you in the ass.

Alexander

As a data center engineer I would say if hardware and cabling is neat and organised, and all equipment are labelled, you can always wisely use your free daily allowance (as we offer) to get the job done. Also charges are confirmed with client (as we do) before they exceed their daily free limit.