beginner's question about whm and whmcs

YoYoC

Hello,

As a biginner, I don't really know what's the main difference between whm and whmcs and control panel. Could someone help me with that?

Thanks

I don't run a web hosting company, so my explanation will be less technical and from the perspective of a client.

WHMCS is a software used by web hosting companies to support and bill their clients. The software can also be automated enough to run your whole operation (from provisioning servers, selling domains to answering support tickets).

WHM is the back-end software of cPanel (which is a popular control panel). The access to one is often given to clients of reseller hosting, because they are able to use it to add/remove clients, setup their own packages and perform other administrative tasks.

A control panel is an easy to use software that is usually given to clients of web hosting packages in order to have an easier way to manage their hosting account: setup email accounts, update their website, check website statistics, etc. The most popular control panel is cPanel, but Plesk and DirectAdmin are also frequently used.

I don't run a web hosting company, so my explanation will be less technical and from the perspective of a client.

WHMCS is a software used by web hosting companies to support and bill their clients. The software can also be automated enough to run your whole operation (from provisioning servers, sell domains to answering support tickets).

WHM is the back-end software of cPanel (which is a popular control panel). The access to one is often given to clients of reseller hosting, because they are able to use it to add/remove clients, setup their own packages and perform other administrative tasks.

A control panel is an easy to use software that is usually given to clients of web hosting packages in order to have an easier way to manage their hosting account: setup email accounts, update their website, check website statistics, etc. The most popular control panel is cPanel, but Plesk and DirectAdmin are also frequently used.

You've pretty much nailed it. To add to that:

WHM is a permission based control panel so there are multiple level access:
1. Root access: Root access basically enables you to control every aspect of the servers configuration. The root user would set the basis for everyone else (default PHP, what modules are installed and so on). Then you have the reseller based WHM account which has significantly less permissions than the root user (basically granting you access to nothing that can change a global configuration as this would apply to other reseller clients also, not to mention security implications).

The root user can specify what a reseller would have access to in WHM using the feature manager.

In most cases you would get root access if you opted for a VPS or Dedicated server. I say in most cases because certain providers do not offer full root access on fully managed services so they are able to manage the service properly without you altering the servers configuration. A reseller or end client should never have root access (shared & reseller hosting) as you basically have access to everything on the server.

WHMCS is basically an automation software. With it, you can integrate it with multiple servers (using WHM or another control panel) and that'll handle many aspects: creation, suspension and termination of accounts. Support. Billing and so on.

An important note, WHMCS does support multiple control panels other than cPanel / WHM though it is called WHMCS because it was originally intended to just be for cPanel and WHM (The name stands for Web Host Manager Complete Solution).

You can see the control panels WHMCS supports here.

Last edited:
Hi,

You have a server, you want to manage it, you will need a control panel and here WHM is used and not WHMCS.

WHMCS is a billing application. It is not used to manage server at all. However, you can use WHMCS to create an user account directly on the server.

WHM is installed on the web server server to manage the web server.
WHMCS is installed on the single user account inside the web server.

Hello,

Using WHM you can create hosting account for your client and manage it using WHM/cPanel.

And for the billing/support management you can WHMCS software on your domain. Using WHMCS your client can place a hosting account order on your site.

WHMCS is a software used by web hosting companies to support and bill their clients. The software can also be automated enough to run your whole operation (from provisioning servers, sell domains to answering support tickets).

Couldnt have put it better myself :)

To add more .. WHMCS is just not used for hosting service purpose , if you have any other product or services to sell , WHMCS is always the best solution as you can add the product range , make invoices , order forms etc... However its best suited for hosting services

You can manage your Server/VPS with a WHM Panel which is intalled with cPanel, WHMCS is a Billing and Management system with which you can service your clients like Open an Invoice for them, support them, create new products for them to order, collect payments, etc.

good day

Whm, control panel used by cpanel to manage the server

Whmcs, software for management of billing of the insdutria of the hosting and related services

Blessings

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hostys