Anyone like .host

dwhs

I was thinking about getting a .host than I saw the $100 price tag and that most of the big ones where taken before it went public.

There were discussions about .host in practically every other domain/hosting related forum I visit. The general belief (as well as my own) is that it isn't really good or useful apart from brand protection. It will still
appear strange to many client and you will be losing a lot of type-in traffic in favor of the .com, as well as many leaving after typing "yourdomain.host.com" and finding nothing... :rolleyes2

There were discussions about .host in practically every other domain/hosting related forum I visit. The general belief (as well as my own) is that it isn't really good or useful apart from brand protection. It will still
appear strange to many client and you will be losing a lot of type-in traffic in favor of the .com, as well as many leaving after typing "yourdomain.host.com" and finding nothing... :rolleyes2

You _could_ register host.com and make a sub domain for your company that matches your .host TLD

For example: www.poppen.host and www.poppen.host.com

Host.com is currently up for auction with a minimim reserve bid of 100.000 GBP (US$ 158,884.37).. bargain, if you ask me.. </sarcasm>

Hmmm ... If I can get 1600 web hosts to pay me $100 for www.<their_name>.host.com ...

I don't know what are you still waiting for - break that piggy bank of yours (hopefully its at least with the size of a real life pig) and snatch that gem :shh:

Host.com is currently up for auction with a minimim reserve bid of 100.000 GBP (US$ 158,884.37).. bargain, if you ask me.. </sarcasm>

How do we know the reserve bid amount? Am I not looking at the right part of the page?

Am I the only cray person in here who thinks this might not be that catastrophic of a price for a domain that might have targeted type-in traffic and a natural ability to be loved by search engines? SEDO says it has over 8000 visitors monthly. Even if that's with all the PR surrounding the sale, It might very well have 5000 type-in visitors. What's half of those visitors worth, if they were looking for hosting-related products/service(s)?

How do we know the reserve bid amount? Am I not looking at the right part of the page?

Am I the only cray person in here who thinks this might not be that catastrophic of a price for a domain that might have targeted type-in traffic and a natural ability to be loved by search engines? SEDO says it has over 8000 visitors monthly. Even if that's with all the PR surrounding the sale, It might very well have 5000 type-in visitors. What's half of those visitors worth, if they were looking for hosting-related products/service(s)?

On the page where it says "place a bid", just enter something ridiculous, like 9.95 or something. It will show you an error that your bid is too low and should be over GBP 100k.

Want to go halfers? (kidding, I can't afford that)

On the page where it says "place a bid", just enter something ridiculous, like 9.95 or something. It will show you an error that your bid is too low and should be over GBP 100k.

Want to go halfers? (kidding, I can't afford that)

Oh, I see how you get to that number. Over GBP $100k? So if you offer exactly $100k, that does not even guarantee a sale? :disagree: Not that I plan on making such an offer.

But in all seriousness, I am approaching this from the perspective of investment. Even 2000 type-in targeted visitors a month looking for hosting services represent real value, if you were to purchase them through AdWords at, say, $2/click. That's $4000 of invested back into the business monthly, which in 37 months will pay for itself. That's ONLY assuming the type-in traffic is your business' targeted traffic.

I think $2 per click is way too low.. The keyword "Canadian web hosting" doesn't show your ad for less than $10, let alone a more generic name with a lot more world-wide competition..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexander Enrique