Am I over reacting or am I justified in my anger?

Exactly .... and thats whats ticked me off.

My memory isn't what it used to be ... but I don't remember reading anywhere in their company policies that say they will decide, without my consent or permission, to register domains (free or otherwise) in my name.

Their privacy policy does say something about not sharing my info unless I choose to opt in to certain mailings or third party offers ... which I never do (at least not with my registrar). But by registering my name & info and disclosing my real email address (unprotected) on a domain I did not give them permission to register me for ... isn't that a serious breach of their privacy policy??? If I registered it ... it would me disclosing the info ... freely and knowingly. But when they unilaterally decide to register it in my name without my knowledge or permission ... they are the ones disclosing my information to anyone on the internet.

I think that would be a serious breach no matter whose privacy policy it is.

JMHO
Peter

What's worse is they have no intent on informing anyone that they have done it. They rely on you stumbling across it.

This alone makes me doubt that it's any kind of promotion.

Not to mention, that I don't see this as a kind action in any way. What would be a kind action is to notify the customer prior to registering a domain in their name, and giving them the option of not doing it. In addition, what would be a kind offer is to give the customer access to the domain that's registered in their name.

Mark ...

If you want the .info domain ... I would contact the registrar and tell them since it is registered in your name you have a legal right to have access to it. After all ... they did register you as the registrant & owner of the domain, as well as the Admin, Billing and Technical contact. So I don't know how anyone could think you are anything but the legal owner of the domain.

And since they did not ask your permission and chose to register it in your name without your knowledge ... then you can only assume they did so freely with the intent of including it in your list of owned domains without expectation of being paid.

I can see a business wanting the .info domain ... use to point to their About Us page or something. But I can see no reason a private individual like me would ever want or need a .info domain. Then again, I might have tunnel vision with the issue :)

I gave my registrar a verbal slap upside the head because I really do not want another domain .... I have no use for another domain and can see no instance where I would ever want a .info domain.

But if you want the .info domain Mark ... I would demand to be given access to it ... and if they refuse then demand they change all the info on the domain. As it stands, when it comes up for renewal, it is you that will get the invoice.

JMHO
Peter

Peter said it very well and I fully concur. In fact Mark can transfer it to another registrar if the domain is not locked (though that might cost something). :)

Well as long as it's not locked, we can transfer to our own registry service, for free (pretty much pay the bill when we want). Again, though, that's if it's not locked. Without access to it at the moment it's hard to say.