Advantages of hosting with a reseller?

I started in the hosting business straight on a dedicated server, i now have 3 of them , all running smoothly with a big bunch of happy clients.:)

just my 2 cents

I think the greater part of the web hosting companies oversell. The question is in its control.

Well resellers often provide services some small 1-3 man companys can't provide. For example they can usualy provide server technicians arround the clock to provide better uptime as well as discounts for example I offer my resellers discounts with enom they have a subaccount under my account. Sometimes they even have deals on whmcs which make it cheaper then getting all this stuff yourself.

If I were to start again I would not use a reseller account. A reseller account does have it's pro's and con's though.

Pro's
You do not need to manage the server.
Backups etc... are also handled by the reseller host (although clients and the reseller account holder would be wise to keep backups too).
Server crashes can happen but if you go with a reliable company then they do all the hardwork in restoring things.

Con's
Lack of control on what to install on the server
Lack of resources like CPU, RAM etc...
Less customisation in general
You often have to pass support requests on to the actual host as the reseller cannot do all things on the server. This increases support time.

Although it's a cheaper start in to the hosting business I personally would save up and get enough to purchase 2 servers in a good data center and have a backup elsewhere and start with a good foundation.

I started as a reseller back in 2001 and with in 6 months moved to dedicated due to not having enough control over things.

Thats why I dont offer resellers just VPS. They have muc hstronger cpu,ram, and more control of the server.