A/B power and tier classifications

SenseiSteve

HD Moderator
Staff member
True A/B power separation with 100% redundancy is a critical network component for many companies, but how would you know if your data center offers that as some do not. Maybe I'm just missing it, but I don't see the tier classification of quite a few data centers on their websites.

I am personally aware of one data center that was previously unmanned for a period of time, relying on on-call technicians to resolve issues. That data center is now leased to another firm.

What steps do you take to ensure your server investment is protected? Do you have it spelled out in a contract?

All Data Center companies should have a fact sheet of each of their sites. These fact sheets should include power configuration to their sites (i.e. n+1,n+2,2n+1,etc...). Having this information will determine if they are truly redundant per site. You can also email them for further questions as well.

Also, don't forget that at many data centers that is an additional service rather than the default.

For example, many of our customers have no need for A/B power, so adding it to every account would just inflate the costs. Rather we can drop the B-side power in as an upgrade for anyone that requires it.

This is why it is more then just about the data centers capabilities but what you work out with the individual data center as well.

Also, don't forget that at many data centers that is an additional service rather than the default.

For example, many of our customers have no need for A/B power, so adding it to every account would just inflate the costs. Rather we can drop the B-side power in as an upgrade for anyone that requires it.

This is why it is more then just about the data centers capabilities but what you work out with the individual data center as well.

I agree with everything you just typed.

There are 4 Tiers of Data Center. Tier III offers N+1 availability while Tier 4 facilities is the highest tier with no single points of failure.

I guess you don't see the tier classification of quite a few data centers on their websites as they are likely to be just tier 1 or tier 2. If they are tier 3 or higher they should promote it on their websites.

Anyway, you can ask for their data sheet to see their data center specification.

Also, don't forget those that advertise that are able to because they paid for a Tier Certification from the Uptime Institute. Many facilities have these same levels of redundancies and protections built-in but choose not to pay for certification and thus may not be able to simply say "Tier 1" etc. on their website.

But most data centers will happily discuss their facility with you so that you can make the judgment call on whether or not their facility meets your requirements.