2checkout.com

It all depends.

It does make things nicer, having a more rigorous fraud checking going on than Paypal generally runs.

On the other hand, any third party processor is going to have their problems. 2checkout only pays out twice a month, but they've never tried to put opt-*out* donations to a charitable organization (run by them, mind you) on their order form page. (Paysystems did that.)

What exactly do you mean by "worth the $49 setup fee"?

Now since Paypal's stopped requiring that people sign up to make payments, I think that the chief advantage of 2checkout is that it isn't known as being a potential scam tool. Yes, Paypal's got name recognition, but with any form of positive recognition will come the unhappy stories.

Some of my clients feel more comfortable being given a non-Paypal method of online payment. Also, I signed up with the third-party processor when Paypal was still requiring that people create an account to make a payment, so I signed on to remove another hurdle to their giving me money.

Two payments: one on the 15th, and one on the 1st. This can put some people in a bind, especially if you run things very close to the wire.

2checkout also has lately (in the past year) had a few incidents where their network was DDoS'ed. However, since they target the online services industry and thus have a relatively high visibility on the script-kiddies' radar, it's kind of inevitable that they'd get virtual rotten tomatoes thrown at them.

Until you can get a merchant account, you pretty much pick which set of problems you can live with, and then go with that payment processor. Paysystems and 2checkout were about equal (except for Paysystems' weekly payment schedule), but then they pulled their little "we're going to make you(r clients) donate to our charity" stunt...and I scratched them off my list.