• As we continue moving the community to new software, you may experience bugs, see things out of place or missing. While the forum is ready for posting, it may take at least a few days before things are ironed out and look properly updated. If you experience any issue(s), please let us know.

What is the Advantage and Disadvantage of Using a Dedicated IP Address?

A client wants to know the advantage and disadvantage of using a dedicated ip address in shared hosting. He also wants a piece of expert advice on using a dedicated ip address since is no longer required for SSL Certificate.

easyhostmedia

A client wants to know the advantage and disadvantage of using a dedicated ip address in shared hosting. He also wants a piece of expert advice on using a dedicated ip address since is no longer required for SSL Certificate.

in shared hosting using a dedicated IP means you are the only one using that IP rather than a shared IP which all it takes is one user to send spam and then the shared IP gets blacklisted and affect everyone using it.

also with a dedicated IP you can set up rDNS

hostpanel

If you are using shared IP address and your neighbours are hosting VPN service in the server, your IP address will be blacklisted in proxy list such as IP2PROXY. Your server might be blocked by many other services in the future.

easyhostmedia

Adding to what @easyhostmedia has mentioned a dedicated IP is beneficial for the email sender’s reputation.

That depends on who had the IP before you, I recently got a ded IP and the first thing i do is a blacklist check on the IP. This showed clear, but then the first email i sent i got a bounce back saying it was blocked with Spamhaus, so did further checks and found that the previous user used the IP to send spam.

qtechservers

Besides the email sending benefit, a dedicated IP also helps build your customers’ and prospects’ confidence in your business/website.

I don't really think there are any disadvantages of using a dedicated IP.

infotech

Dedicated IP address gives website good rating in search engines and also avoid blacklisting due to Any other sites. Disadvantage is need to pay additional cost for IP address

easyhostmedia

Dedicated IP address gives website good rating in search engines and also avoid blacklisting due to Any other sites. Disadvantage is need to pay additional cost for IP address
A dedicated IP could still be blacklisted as you dont know who has had it before you are given it.
I would not say paying $2 for a dedicated IP is a disadvantage.