Using a 3rd domain to conceal identity for resellers

hostyhosty

Hi

So my company went ahead and bought a domain name primarily for use as a concealer to conceal the true host of resellers.

We were going to go with gendns dot co dot uk however I felt the latter was better in ns dns dot co dot uk.

Is this a common practice or one you think is a good idea, afterall our ethos is to provide a renowned customer service experience so it made sense to us to provide this service to our customers (even those who aren't resellers)

what are your thoughts:D

Yes good idea as some resellers dont want their clients to know they are resellers.
If you have a VPS the easiest thing is to just use a concealer as the servers hostname.

lets say you have 2 servers you could have

alpha.ns dns dot co dot uk
beta.ns dns dot co dot uk
zulu.ns dns dot co dot uk

and then get a wildcard SSL for the domain ns dns dot co dot uk

so that zulu.ns dns dot co dot uk:2087 would work for WHM and zulu.ns dns dot co dot uk:2086 for cpanel

Correct me if I am wrong, but can't you just offer Private DNS for your resellers and they can hide the true host with the NS of their own domain? :rolleyes2

Whilst eventually people will piece together these are your nameservers, I wouldn't include it in a thread with your signature etc as that kind of defeats the purpose.

Whilst eventually people will piece together these are your nameservers, I wouldn't include it in a thread with your signature etc as that kind of defeats the purpose.

I agree, even using an unassociated hostname like Arvixe do for their resellers is not 100% whitelabel and the domain used is registered to Arvixe, so these days no matter what method or process you use, if people want and with a little research they will always find out you are a reseller