That trend for everything on a page to move

John @ S4

Am I the only person who doesn't think that everything on a page should slide in from the side or up from the bottom or do a little twirl or whatever else it might be as I scroll down a page?

I just looked at a site, clicked on a link from a signature here in fact, where all of the items in the footer slid in from the left and right when I got down that far. I just find it all a bit pointless and distracting.

There are places for that kind of thing but only when it enhances the design or functionality in some way, not just to show that you can make things slide.

Surely sometimes it is better just to clearly present relevant information in a well designed static way and not to animate anything?

<moan over -- time for coffee>

I"m with you :) We get requests from clients to "make it pop" and that can mean anything from bold text to hot pink background (yes, that was a background request, yes we objected, yes we implemented it as the client paid us!)

Rarely do I like things that fly in or out. On a mobile phone, it's even worse. I think popups have their case for sliding in, and we've also seen a bigger trend of not having a contact page and instead of a popup that displays the info. Instead of jamming it down the viewer's throat, it fades in and slides from the top.

Beyond that, I'm not a fan of sliding or movement.

There is ONE big exception - eCommerce. People are enamored with movement on eCommerce sites, whether during checkout or during a signup phase. There's a higher chance of checkout if there's movement - go figure!

Lol actually, you are right.
A lot of animations are more distracting than meaningful.

The original purpose of animations is to add meaning to additions or subtractions in a scene.

But these days, it's almost out of control =D

I am a minimalist when it comes to design. Even a "discount for newsletter signup" that pops up first thing upon a visit is annoying to me. Like I don't even know what you are selling yet, why make me click the "x" as a first impression. šŸ˜–

Sorry, but I disagree. This sounds very much like people who are still stuck on black and white, while ignoring that the real world is in full color. Of course everything can be overdone (like sliding) which simply becomes tacky. Personally though, I hate static websites.