Summertime hosting - is it still alive and kick'n?

SenseiSteve

HD Moderator
Staff member
I used to read lots of threads about summertime hosting. With schools being closed, seemingly until next September, do you see a resurgence of kiddie hosts?

I don't know if we'll see the uptick like we have had in years past. I think there's a lot of people watching just exactly what is happening with their money, and as a result, paying for a reseller account may not be something on their list.

I've seen a number of web design companies closing their doors over the past few weeks (all of them are for temporary measures from what I can tell), but us on our end haven't been busier! So I'm grateful for that.

I think there's room for those working from home or those wanting to start something up, but whether they'll fork over the money for a larger hosting account, and then *IF* they can find clients to support it, that's the bigger question.

There's plenty of companies still wanting to spend money, but there's an overabundance of smaller shops that need to hold their money tighter. I just don't see a kiddie host finding the abundance of available clients like we've had in the past.

Pretty sure , this summer, that's going to be a hell no, and that's a good thing. Last thing we need in this economy is more people opening up scam hosts

Prediction:
We're going to see more hosts go under in the next few months. I'll be happy to be wrong, but I think that what we're going to see instead of the typical summer hosting by teens thing is going to be hosts going under , massively so.

The reason for this will be twofold:
A> cPanel's pricing
B> Economy

We'll see how right or wrong I am come end of summer

I have noticed a slight increase in the number of kiddie host post on ebay, but not as many as you get to see during then six week summer holidays in the UK.
I personally have been approached by a couple of hosts asking if i would be willing to help them out with remote support.

My assessment is a bit different.

I think that the entry barrier is more difficult today for anyone, not just the kids. Looking at how the hosting solutions evolved to complicated cloud infrastructures, CDN products, self-hosted services like SquareSpace, most will shy away because you either have to compete on money/budget or knowledge/technology (which leads to money in the first place).

Starting with a simple shared/reseller package today might be good for a few business-card-website clients, but not enough to scale. The cost of hosting has become so small that most of the same business-card clients might just sign-up with a large established provider, relying on a more reliable cloud infrastructure, than with a simple shared hosting plan hosted on a single server.

Prediction:
We're going to see more hosts go under in the next few months. I'll be happy to be wrong, but I think that what we're going to see instead of the typical summer hosting by teens thing is going to be hosts going under , massively so.

The reason for this will be twofold:
A> cPanel's pricing
B> Economy

I believe the opposite. cPanel pricing aside (most hosts will adjust or find acceptable alternatives), the business should boom. The world has changed and more businesses are rapidly seeking ways to digitize their operations. It's not just "delivery" apps that they will rely on, but actually ways where they can go straight to consumer. I feel like a lot of small businesses will try to find ways to expand their business online, seeking to balance off declined offline revenue.

My assessment is a bit different.

I think that the entry barrier is more difficult today for anyone, not just the kids. Looking at how the hosting solutions evolved to complicated cloud infrastructures, CDN products, self-hosted services like SquareSpace, most will shy away because you either have to compete on money/budget or knowledge/technology (which leads to money in the first place).

Starting with a simple shared/reseller package today might be good for a few business-card-website clients, but not enough to scale. The cost of hosting has become so small that most of the same business-card clients might just sign-up with a large established provider, relying on a more reliable cloud infrastructure, than with a simple shared hosting plan hosted on a single server.

some cases yes, but what you get with ebay is kiddie hosts will purchase a reseller plan like this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Reseller...mited-accounts-4-99-year-Instant/113973936550 and then they will just resell shared plans on ebay (without having a website) for next to nothing and call themselves hosts. But you ask these a host related question they dont have a clue and if anything goes wrong they just vanish. i once asked one of these hosts a simple question what are the DNS settings and do you provide dedicated IP and they reply i got what is DNS and what is a dedicated IP.

some cases yes, but what you get with ebay is kiddie hosts will purchase a reseller plan like this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Reseller...mited-accounts-4-99-year-Instant/113973936550 and then they will just resell shared plans on ebay (without having a website) for next to nothing and call themselves hosts. But you ask these a host related question they dont have a clue and if anything goes wrong they just vanish. i once asked one of these hosts a simple question what are the DNS settings and do you provide dedicated IP and they reply i got what is DNS and what is a dedicated IP.

Let's be realistic. eBay [probably and hopefully] represents the tiniest share of all global hosting sales, so it is probably not a leading reason for... anything really.

Additionally, if these kiddies sell hosting for $1-2/year, how much time do you think they need to hussle for to get anywhere worth their time? It's minimal damage all around.

Let's be realistic. eBay [probably and hopefully] represents the tiniest share of all global hosting sales, so it is probably not a leading reason for... anything really.

Additionally, if these kiddies sell hosting for $1-2/year, how much time do you think they need to hussle for to get anywhere worth their time? It's minimal damage all around.

I used to get many clients that were done over by these ebay kiddie hosts. when you have people with little disposable income they will look at ebay for cheap hosts. but as the say goes ' you only get what you pay for' pay peanuts and you get monkeys

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hostys