Services on footer not offered by the providers

SenseiSteve

HD Moderator
Staff member
I'm curious why a provider would list services like Cloud VPS and Dedicated Servers on the footer of their website when nothing about those services can be found on their website.

SEO would be my guess. If you can get someone that was looking for a Cloud VPS and then convert them into a different service, that would be one possible angle on things.

I've never liked that kind of deceptive marketing, but it's done all the time, unfortunately. :(

I'd be shocked if I ended up on a provider's website looking for "dedicated servers" and they did not actually offer the service.

No, I wouldn't be shocked that the service wasn't there. I'd be shocked that they were able to get high enough in search results for a service/product they don't even offer. That's some skill right there.

And after all, if you somehow rank (and put so much effort to rank) high enough for a product that a ton of people find you based on, why not simply offer it and rip the reward?

No, I wouldn't be shocked that the service wasn't there. I'd be shocked that they were able to get high enough in search results for a service/product they don't even offer. That's some skill right there.

That's the fun of SEO :) In the grand scheme of things, Google uses buckets to classify a website. They then take like-minded terms and associate them together, and then as a whole, the entire site can rank higher (high tide raises all ships - or something like that).

So if VPS, Cloud and Standard hosting are all lumped into one bucket, then getting great rankings for any one of those will increase the rankings for the others by default.

As a simple experiment, type "vps cloud hosting" into Google and then go to the bottom of the page of results. Google will list 6-8 searches related to the search request. Now you know what bucket your term is placed in.

I can see "vps vs cloud vs dedicated" and "vps vs cloud reddit" and "cloud web hosting" all returning for there search above. Now, based on that, I can have articles etc about why VPS is better than Cloud, and I'm instantly ranking for both.

If I search for "cloud hosting" one of the related terms is "cloud hosting vs shared hosting" - so we know Google has classified both of those in the same bucket too. So any content ranking improvements about Cloud will also trickle over to shared.

Shared web hosting sprinkes in the terms for dedicated. "web hosting" brings in the term "for small business" and now that can be ranked easier too.

Lots of little "tricks" or "methods" for SEO, but being able to determine what bucket a phrase might be in allows you to then expand the phrase and raise the ranks of all related terms fairly easily.

That's because a lot of hosts use templates and cannot or do not amend these to suit their own business.
The amount of hosts i have visited and they still have blocks of 'Lorem ipsum' text.

Fine use a template, but at least configure it fully before publishing it

Last edited: