RIP Sally Nannestad

SenseiSteve

HD Moderator
Staff member
While I realize this isn't in any way related to web hosting, I do want to pay my respects to Sally.

Sally was my flight instructor for my commercial pilot license and instrument certification while I was stationed in Hawaii. Like the article said, she was an incredible flight instructor and genuinely good person.

I just today found this obituary, out of curiosity. When you get to be my age, you sometimes look back in wonder of those acquaintances who affected your life in a good way.

I remember once, she made me fly under the hood (instrument training) to Kauai and back, but the ultimate thriller was once flying over the valley on Oahu, she pushed the yoke all the way forward putting the plane in a nosedive (I mean looking straight down at the ground) while deploying full flaps and pulling the throttle all the way back - to demonstrate the capability of the plane we were training in. Yipes!

While I'm a little late in saying this, thank you Sally and may you Rest in Peace. You will never be forgotten.

Sorry to hear that, Steve, this is sad indeed, especially when you lose someone who's had such an impact on you.

PS: I was just discussing the possibility for my continued training for PPL with my wife this week, as we are moving houses later this year and I'll be closer to a new airport.

Sorry to hear that, Steve, this is sad indeed, especially when you lose someone who's had such an impact on you.

PS: I was just discussing the possibility for my continued training for PPL with my wife this week, as we are moving houses later this year and I'll be closer to a new airport.
I guarantee you'll be thrilled when you earn your Private Pilot's License. How far along did you get?

I guarantee you'll be thrilled when you earn your Private Pilot's License. How far along did you get?
Oh I am sure even that nosedive is thrilling enough. )
I had only 7 hours, but I feel like I have to restart all the way from ground school. I don't mind though.

You can always get a head start by purchasing some training manuals. You don't have to wait until you move. I would encourage you to listen to tower communications as well and practice writing down what you hear and repeating that back. That's one thing that confuses new pilots quite often. You'll manage though.

That's one thing that confuses new pilots quite often. You'll manage though.
Oh I feel like this is going to be my biggest challenge, especially with so many French-speaking pilots here.
It's a great suggestion though, I'll do that. I will also re-start studying on my own time, before I even get there.

Did want to add a follow up here as I was honored to have flown at the Honolulu Country Club of the Air, owned by Aviatrix Marguerite Gambo Woods, where Sally was a CFII instructor.

See https://aviation.hawaii.gov/pioneer-airlines/gambo-flying-service/

When I was training for my Private Pilots License, I ran into financial difficulties and Marguerite Gambo allowed me to make payments. She was an incredible pilot herself as you can see in the article. I always found it fascinating that she was in the air with a student during the December 7th 1941 attack on Pearl Harbor.