Reverse IP/DNS Lookup

akasaintme

Hi,

We have a Windows dedicated server and have around 100 sites of our clients hosted on the same server. Our clients point their domain to our server using one of the below options:

1. They set the name servers (like ns1.ourmainsite.com and ns2.ourmainsite.com) ourmainsite.com is our main business site which is also hosted on the same server.
2. They point the A record for their domain to our server's IP address

Both the above options are working good. However, recently we have observed that our competitors came to know about our name servers and IP address used for A record. They are now using tools like http://reversens.domaintools.com and http://reverseip.domaintools.com , using these tools our competitors are easily getting our client's domain details and they are contacting clients directly. This way competitors have diverted many of our clients.

We requested our hosting provider to provide us dedicated IP addresses for each domain so that each client site will have different IP address and it will be hard for competitors to get the details of our future clients. But our hosting provider is not providing us these much IP addresses.

What other options we have that will make hard for competitors to get the details of our future clients. We keep getting new clients and we want to keep all the domains hosted on the same server. There should be some trick or workaround that can make difficult for competitors to get our client details easily.

The thing is i f you hide your dns records they won't be replicated anymore...
You could register all your new customer's domains with whois privacy option.

How are these competitors persuading your customers to up and leave?

It might be worth tackling whatever that weak spot is.

Definitely need to address what ughosting said!

As far as hiding information from the competition, that should be the least of your worries. If you provide stellar service at a reasonable price, it doesn't matter how big of a fish someone else dangles at them, they'll never leave.

All that said, having one server for DNS and different servers for the clients, you can still do a lookup. All you need to do is trace the domain name, it will give you the ending point IP and/or hostname. From there, reverse lookup the hostname - bam, another list of clients and domains :)

Being worried about what your competition might do with the information shouldn't be the focus. Be stellar at what you do!

Using Cloudflare DNS service have many advantages - this will not only hide your actual DNS records, but provides anti-DDOS protection and speed up your website as well, would recommend it

CloudFlare is definitely the good option but I would recommend you to address what ughosting and bigredseo said above. :)

Agree with the bigredseo. Using CloudFlare, you can hide the details of DNS but follow the advises provided by the bigredseo.

My vote for Cloudflare, You can use cloudflare to hide the details of DNS records of your domain and also you will get many features secure your domain

I would recommend Cloudflare but only to give better service or speed up your client's website

As far as hiding i don't think you need to hide as long as you are providing quality service, I personally prefer users using our nameservers with their domain, it is kind of marketing for us ;)

Agreed

Hi,

We have a Windows dedicated server and have around 100 sites of our clients hosted on the same server. Our clients point their domain to our server using one of the below options:

1. They set the name servers (like ns1.ourmainsite.com and ns2.ourmainsite.com) ourmainsite.com is our main business site which is also hosted on the same server.
2. They point the A record for their domain to our server's IP address

Both the above options are working good. However, recently we have observed that our competitors came to know about our name servers and IP address used for A record. They are now using tools like http://reversens.domaintools.com and http://reverseip.domaintools.com , using these tools our competitors are easily getting our client's domain details and they are contacting clients directly. This way competitors have diverted many of our clients.

We requested our hosting provider to provide us dedicated IP addresses for each domain so that each client site will have different IP address and it will be hard for competitors to get the details of our future clients. But our hosting provider is not providing us these much IP addresses.

What other options we have that will make hard for competitors to get the details of our future clients. We keep getting new clients and we want to keep all the domains hosted on the same server. There should be some trick or workaround that can make difficult for competitors to get our client details easily.

This is a great scenario which you have presented.
I agree with hiding client's data using WHOis privacy policy so that in future your clients are not taken over.
As per the earlier clients, enhance your service so even if competitors contact the clients, they will not leave you.

If a domain is used to gererate an income (ecommerce) then you are not allowed to hide whois info. The only way round this is to use a service like cloudflare, so you use their ips and nameservers

our competitors are easily getting our client's domain details and they are contacting clients directly. This way competitors have diverted many of our clients.

I would say the issue is not how and why competitors are contacting your clients.
If your customers are then being persuaded to leave you and go to a competitor i would be looking at what are you doing wrong that would make clients want to leave you in the first place.

If you are offering value for money and excellent service then clients would stay with you regardless of tactics your competitors may do to try and poach them.