Reseller or VPS

Smithwhuk

Hello,

Which one is the best hosting service to start a web hosting business? I have searched a lot about both hosting services, but not able to make the right decision.

Artashes

Administrator
Staff member
It's posts like these that make me go:

What would a company you are working for say when they find out you don't know the answer to a question like this (or do know?), or even asking it in the first place? While you are obviously hired to "promote" them, keep in mind that it actually looks really bad on them, as it makes the company look incompetent. Just a friendly word of advice.

bigredseo

HD Community Advisor
Staff member
Dedicated or Cloud?
Coke or 7UP?
Mars or Jupiter?

@Smithwhuk you're not asking the right question.
You need to ask YOURSELF, at minimum, the following questions:
  • How much experience you have?
  • How much money do you have?
  • How much time do you have?
  • How good are you at troubleshooting?
  • How will you attract and maintain new client relationships?
Once you have those answers, you can better understand the bigger question - should you start a web hosting company?

easyhostmedia

Great find on that thread. Seems like this person is just trying to boost their post count and asking (and answering) their own questions - even if they answer them incorrectly ;)
To me he sound like he is one of those that will purchase a $2 a year all bells and whistles reseller plan from ebay and now calls himself a web host

farbyte

It depends on many factors & your own personal capability.
Do you have the skills to run your own VPS? If not, then reseller is a good way to start, so long as it's a good reseller provider. Stay far away from unlimited reseller accounts in my opinion.

hostinap

it's simple if you have skills in managing vps like installing update security backups, then you can go with vps along with your preferable panel, or if you new with limited budget then it is best to go with reseller hosting where you will have more time in marketing than managing.

clouvider

As others have echoed, it depends on your Skill level and comfort with each service, at the end of the day your the one putting paying customers onto those services and your the one that needs to maintain it.

VPS for example opens up alot of more options, but also alot more responsibility for the server.

Settoz

Keep in mind all the extra resposability you got when you order a VPS. Noone is doing a daily backup of each account, noone is checking for updates, noone is makin sure your server is secure etc.

If you dont have the knowledge to do this yourself, you should hire someone to do it. This will cost you more money. So maybe start with a reseller if you dont know the answer.

easyhostmedia

Keep in mind all the extra resposability you got when you order a VPS. Noone is doing a daily backup of each account, noone is checking for updates, noone is makin sure your server is secure etc.
That depends, even when ordered an unmaged VPS some providers will give you the option to order regular backups also if you order a managed server then the provider will deal with updates and making sure the server is secure etc. (but even if a provider can do this, i would research and try and do this yourself as this is the only way you will really learn how to manage servers), but yes you have more responsibility and flexibility when you have a VPS

ughosting

HD Community Advisor
Staff member
The only thing a VPS offers that you cannot achieve with Reseller accounts is something that needs root access or something really weird hosting. CloudLinux hosts can provide a reseller account where the resources limits can provide the kind of performance you would get from a VPS. Only each user account can have its own limits within the Resellers limits, as well as filesystem isolation from CageFS. (i.e. better than a standard VPS). Of course the Control Panel, Backups etc are shared between everyone bringing the cost down below that of a VPS.