Reasons why you should not procure hosting based solely on price

SenseiSteve

HD Moderator
Staff member
This is where the old saying comes into play, "You get what you pay for." While that's not necessarily always true, if you're planning on launching an ecommerce site and projecting to earn any type of income from that, going with an 'off brand' hosting provider that you've never heard of, based on price isn't recommended.

I would recommend checking out reviews of any prospective provider, but I should as heck would not trust 'top ten' hosting reviews as those are primarily affiliate reviews whose sole purpose is earning affiliate commissions.

You could certainly ask the members here for their opinions. It's possible some of them may have used the services of the provider you're considering.

I am going to ignite a fire a tiny bit.

I 100% agree that any top 10 hosting review list is stimulated by the high affiliate commissions they pay out to website owners.

However, it is also quite possible that those lists will likely include companies that are relatively known, due to heavy marketing budgets and advertising campaigns. Does it necessarily make them a bad hosting partner? It's a very difficult question to answer.

I am going to ignite a fire a tiny bit.

I 100% agree that any top 10 hosting review list is stimulated by the high affiliate commissions they pay out to website owners.

However, it is also quite possible that those lists will likely include companies that are relatively known, due to heavy marketing budgets and advertising campaigns. Does it necessarily make them a bad hosting partner? It's a very difficult question to answer.

Well, certainly there are always exceptions to the rule. It's a very tiny fire, Artashes. :)

Totally agreed. Before choosing a web hosting provider one should search for "true" reviews not reviews from affiliates.

The price should also be reasonable. Price that are too cheap (although not always) mostly lead to overselling resources which is one of the main reasons that your website loads slowly.

I'm joining this small "club of reason" and while being a bit skeptical I hope it will be growing in quantity.

I think finding authentic reviews and also contacted pre sale support is probably the best way to gauge a service. If the pre sale support is crap, most likely the service is crap too ( This is true for some hosts who may outsource support to poorly trained support staff )

You got me on that one! :) How did you know?

How you both knew?:D

As for choosing web hosting, I'm not sure who is reading those reviews.. From my experience - one gets web hosting he have heard of somewhere somehow. Usually it is the same place, where people buy domains. Perhaps if there are problems with current hosting or needed service is highly specialized, only then advanced search begins.

This is a very difficult question.

I think pricing is one factor and is different for every person. Perception is the biggest key factor. The "what do I get" scenario. I think.

Some people, are just looking for the cheapest and the most for their money. Some are looking for good service or premium features, I've also found that some of my customers, stay due to loyalty and are happy with you.

I agree with most of this I would recommend checking Trustpilot, and friends and other people who you know who have websites, maybe see how easy it is to speak to someone at a hosting company and see what type and quality of support they offer most web host's have a 30 day test or a very cheap account for testing.....

it is also good to always read the terms and conditions of the hosting company you are looking to try out many have small print stating they charge $50 an hour and up for support, fair use policy's, and many other terms that could end up costing you a lot of money if you have not read them first.

I generally don't look at reviews, in great depth. I always take them with a pinch of salt. I make my decisions based on, how the company and or supplier is handling my first point of contact.

Yes but the problem with first point of contact is they can be real nice then and as soon as they have you as a customer and have your money they no longer care about you, my approach is to keep the customer happy always, i am sure 1000% any of my customers would say I have and always will be there to help them when ever they need me, and as such I also know they will always stay with me. So you see the idea of first contact is only if your a company looking for fast money but me I look for clients that will come back again and again and again....

So you see the idea of first contact is only if your a company looking for fast money but me I look for clients that will come back again and again and again....

Very true. First contact is only useful for decision making when it's really bad :)

When you are selecting a hosting company, always look at reviews, how long has the hosting company been around, what type of support they offer, and mainly what type of server technology they are using.

The above-mentioned reasons make sure that you are getting the best web hosting company to host your website and you website is always online with no downtime. For all this to happen it will cost you money because hosting and maintaining servers is not cheap.

If you pay a lower price then I really doubt you would get any proper support or guarantee the uptime of your website.

always look at reviews,

This is not the best way as you will find people only tend to post reviews if they have had bad experiences with very few good reviews being posted.

If you see 1 bad review then that does not mean the host is bad as that host may have 2000 clients, but only 1 bad review.

This is where the old saying comes into play, "You get what you pay for." While that's not necessarily always true, if you're planning on launching an ecommerce site and projecting to earn any type of income from that, going with an 'off brand' hosting provider that you've never heard of, based on price isn't recommended.

I would recommend checking out reviews of any prospective provider, but I should as heck would not trust 'top ten' hosting reviews as those are primarily affiliate reviews whose sole purpose is earning affiliate commissions.

You could certainly ask the members here for their opinions. It's possible some of them may have used the services of the provider you're considering.
Exactly.. I totally agree with you. sometimes paying more will not fulfill our business needs. so the price is not only the factor to choose a hosting provider. you can consider it as one of the factors to take into consideration for choosing the provider.