Photoshop

Well depends if you are in mac os but anyways , checkout affinity photo , also there is always the tries and tested coreldraw ( i dont believe its stuck around this long for no reason.

Gimp kind of died , but they moved forum and it seems they are starting up again , and as a tool i actually quite like gimp .

I personally use a tool called 'Graphic' which is a basic photo editor for iOS & Mac OS X. I prefer graphic as it's a very cheap one time cost, it's simple and the interface is very user friendly.

Of course, you won't find anything much better than photoshop in terms of function, whilst having it easier to use.

- Kieran

I used to use Xara products 10 years ago, and they were great and fast, but since I no longer do web design, just hosting I'm not sure if those products kept up.

Well i know gimp is the go to , but even though it was designed for a different purpose adobe illustrator is quite handy for use of editing , of course it doesn't give you the more complex functions of graphics like layer masks but im thinking maybe you dont need that, oterwise gimp , but gimp to me ist that user friendly and Photoshop has massive online support

You can use Paint.net or pixlr. Both are best and easy to use they are user friendly. You can edit your pictures with some easy steps. You can choose one of them as per your requirement.

For a beginner, I would recommend GIMP. It is highly customizable and expandable via plugins. It also supports layers and masks.

If you are a beginner, instead of starting with other application, just start watching some online tutorials about photoshop. It gives a big advantage than the others like GIMP. The new version (CC 2018) gives you new instruments, so just start learning how to use it, instead of searching for some new or simple application.

Photoscape is a really good alternative to Photoshop. It is less complicated and easy to use for beginners.

Affinity Photo is best alternative to Photoshop. It comes with a promise of higher speeds, fewer crashes and unlimited undos but in truth, the amount of improved performance you'll get will probably depend what equipment you're using .

As @Easyhostmedia mentioned earlier, PhotoPea is pretty much an exact replica of Photoshop. You can open/save PSD files and use them both in PhotoPea or in Photoshop directly.

I use Photoshop daily, my wife loves PhotoPea as it doesn't take any computer resources, and we exchange files regularly to continue working on projects/layers etc.