Other control panels

GordyMac

Has a client ever asked you if you host a different control panel other than the one on your website? What did you do?

If they would not use your control panel, would you recommend another host directly or point them to WHT or here or what would you do?

I have had people ask me about using another panel, I used to offer ensim and cPanel but only offer cPanel now.
Have had a few ask about ensim and I think one for plesk.
I would tell them a few good hosts with those control panels if I didnt offer what they are looking for.

I would have to agree, I would also say it is probably the most common one used by hosts today. Why? It is VERY user friendly and so easy to understand and easy to do anything and everything.

GordyMac said:
I would have to agree, I would also say it is probably the most common one used by hosts today. Why? It is VERY user friendly and so easy to understand and easy to do anything and everything.

100% right :) :) :)

Well so far clients have asked me for different control panels but when I tell them that I only offer cPanel for Red Hat they kind of manage with it. But if they would only want the control panel of their choice and if I knew someone hosting with that control panel I would directly refer them to the hosting company else I would refer them to HT and NOT WHT...plus WHT is stopping their shared/dedicated request sections :D

Well I couldnt care much because I dont like that forum too much compared to HT...too much junk going around and the moderators think as though they have a very BiG position and boss you around...

<< Has a client ever asked you if you host a different control panel other than the one on your website? What did you do? If they would not use your control panel, would you recommend another host directly or point them to WHT or here or what would you do? >>

No shared web hosting clients have yet asked me to how another control panel, and if one of my consultancy ones did I'd look at him strangely and give him the number for the local mental hospital. :D
However, if a shared hosting client did ask me - I'd say I'd think about it. If it were Plesk, I'd consider it. If it were Direct Admin I'd say sure. If it were Ensim I'd most likely say "Sign a contract for six years and you go yourself a deal." - most likely the same with Plesk, since Ensim and Plesk licenses are very very expensive. $799 one time fee for each. If they wanted me to recommend another host, I'd probably recommend them to some other good hosts I know of.
Dedicated hosting - well that is a different story. For me, I don't care what they use or want to. I offer cPanel free and DirectAdmin free if they want - Plesk or Ensim they'd need to pay me an extra $70 per month or buy their own license, depending on how many domains they wanted.

<< I think the best control panel is cpanel now >>

It depends who you mean best for. The client, well it depends. Dumb clients love cPanel because it's easy to use, and they don't need to learn a thing except that you need to make sure to add the mySQL database to the mySQL user. Plesk and DirectAdmin are also brilliant control panels though, and are not as difficult to learn as clients thinks. Plesk and Direct Admin are much better for the server admin to manage. True, cPanel you can manage it practically with knowing nothing about servers, but this is awful. You should never rely on the features of a control panel to manage a server. Personally, I love Plesk - that is the best control panel out their in my honest oppinion - it's fast, very easy to learn for not dumb clients, very secure, very stable and no bugs. One thing I hate about the user end of the new Xskin v2, is that is was bunger together - yes, bunged together, not placed and laid out carefully - therefore even some stupider clients don't know where to find certain things. cPanel may be good for the slacker, it may be good for the newbie who wants to run a company but cannot manage a server, cannot code and does not even know what linux is, but for a professional company - cPanel is a very difficult product to work with. DirectAdmin and Plesk are both very nice, it lets the system admin get back into touch with the olden days, and use command line coding instead of clicking his mouse button constantly. So to sum it up - if the client or system admin is stupid or lazy, then yes cPanel is great. If the client has half a brain, same as the system admin, then Plesk or Direct Admin is brilliant. We only offer cPanel because our shared hosting clients, the majority, are dumb. For those who are not dumb and never need support - we double their space and bandwidth totally freely or put them onto a server with another control panel.

<< I would also say it is probably the most common one used by hosts today >>

It is most likely the most common used. I'm pretty sure on Linux, out of cPanel, Direct Admin, Plesk, Ensim, a few others and also a custom control panel - cPanel would be the most popular. Simply because it has nice skins and also cPanel takes control of everything - I mean, there is not much you cannot do via the cPanel control panel really. cPanel is not by any means the be all and end all, it is simply used a lot by web hosts today - nothing more, nothing less.