need help with HTTP ERROR 500

easyhostmedia

Hi all
I recently migrated all my sites to a VPS.

4 of the websites are displaying HTTP ERROR 500 notices.

I have checked permissions and they are all the same as those sites that are working fine.
I googled this and followed a few solutions, but non are working.

The server is unmanaged, so if needed i may have to ask provider to do the work at a cost.
I have looked at some companies online and a lot are asking daft prices and want you to sign for monthly plans

First check your php versions and make sure they are the same on both servers. Then check your php.ini .htaccess and .user.ini files to make sure nothing is causing an error.

What do the logs say is happening when you try to load the site?

First check your php versions and make sure they are the same on both servers. Then check your php.ini .htaccess and .user.ini files to make sure nothing is causing an error.

What do the logs say is happening when you try to load the site?

old server (reseller plan) is

cPanel Version 78.0 (build 13)
Apache Version 2.4.38
PHP Version 7.1.26
MySQL Version 10.0.38-MariaDB

new server is

cPanel Version 78.0 (build 13)
Apache Version 2.4.38
PHP Version 7.2.15
MySQL Version 10.3.13-MariaDB

which is all the same as all the sites

the only error listed in frontend/paper_lantern/stats/errlog.html is

[Mon Feb 25 02:14:15.807635 2019] [access_compat:error] [pid 24909] [client 64.31.33.14:51190] AH01797: client denied by server configuration: /home/*******/public_html/admin/index.php

Terry, just to confirm, as I wasn't very clear from your original post, are you looking for tech help resolving the error, or are you actually looking for a new hosting provider?

Terry, just to confirm, as I wasn't very clear from your original post, are you looking for tech help resolving the error, or are you actually looking for a new hosting provider?

tech help to try and resolve this issue. I have checked everything and cant find anything wrong.
i bet it is something simple that i have missed somewhere.

What about the error_log inside the websites public_html? What is the control panel and setup?

Most likely a PHP module missing or needs a different version, could also be database connection issues.

Do feel free to email me a login and I will gladly help take a look and fix if you really struggle!

What about the error_log inside the websites public_html? What is the control panel and setup?

Most likely a PHP module missing or needs a different version, could also be database connection issues.

Do feel free to email me a login and I will gladly help take a look and fix if you really struggle!

i am using cpanel and the sites have been like this since migration and PHP etc. are all the same versions

this is what the sites error log shows

[26-Feb-2019 21:01:32 UTC] PHP Fatal error: Uncaught Error: Call to undefined function mb_internal_encoding() in /home/******/public_html/core/init.php:21
Stack trace:
#0 /home/******/public_html/index.php(53): require_once()
#1 {main}
thrown in /home/******/public_html/core/init.php on line 21
[28-Feb-2019 17:20:53 UTC] PHP Fatal error: Uncaught Error: Call to undefined function mb_internal_encoding() in /home/******/public_html/core/init.php:21
Stack trace:
#0 /home/******/public_html/index.php(53): require_once()
#1 {main}
thrown in /home/******/public_html/core/init.php on line 21

Hey Terry,

From the error, it's pointing at mbstring not being enabled or being able to access. Can you verify that this is enabled in your php.ini file for the server. Also, while you're at it, see if you have any custom php.ini file in your site files that might be different than the server configuration.

Load up a phpinfo file, doublecheck for the mbstring being enabled. It's more than likely that your old server's Apache Compile is different than the new one.

Hey Terry,

From the error, it's pointing at mbstring not being enabled or being able to access. Can you verify that this is enabled in your php.ini file for the server. Also, while you're at it, see if you have any custom php.ini file in your site files that might be different than the server configuration.

Load up a phpinfo file, doublecheck for the mbstring being enabled. It's more than likely that your old server's Apache Compile is different than the new one.

Hi Conor
Got it sorted.

The 4 affected site were configured and worked using php. 7.2 on the previous server.
The new server was compiled to use PHP 7.2, but for some reason these 4 site will work with PHP7.0 but not with 7.1 or 7.2.
the techs who sorted it blamed 'the depreciation and removal of mcrypt as an extension in PHP 7.2.'

Yeah it was depreciated in 7.1 and removed in 7.2, but if you really need it (for whatever reason), you can virtual link to the 7.1 directory.

Probably a good thing to get rid of it anyway ;)

Yeah it was depreciated in 7.1 and removed in 7.2, but if you really need it (for whatever reason), you can virtual link to the 7.1 directory.

Probably a good thing to get rid of it anyway ;)

strange the sites worked on the old server, but all the sites are working, so must not have been important to the scripts

I advise you to check the ports, most often the problem occurs when they are closed <URL snipped> Check the ports with a special tool. And roll back software updates.