Is participating in or having your own show worthwhile in the hosting industry?

SenseiSteve

HD Moderator
Staff member
I know I've participated in many industry shows and conventions. Obviously, some worked out better than others, but I always ended with a pile of business cards and notes on which to follow up on.

Some things I came away with were - what's important is analyzing that show results and following up (promptly) with everyone who visited. What was their interest? What drew them to you? If there’s any match for your service, set up an appointment to visit their business first (not yours). Let them open up opportunities for you. Showing interest in their business increases the odds that they’ll reciprocate.

I'm curious if members here participate in shows or conventions, and how well you believe that time was spent.

At the end of the day, it's gong to depend on the type of show and the clients you're targeting.

For most hosts, participating in HostingCon or similar is not going to yield business unless you're a data center, or offer something really unique other hosts can benefit from.

When first starting out many years ago, I participated in a number of different shows - home shows, travel shows, and niche specific. Two that I remember vividly are a graphic design show and a scrapbooking show. I was able to pick up a booth at a scrapbook show for $100 and we tailored our presentation to scrapbookers - how easy it was to setup a website, get hosting and share their scrapbook (or products for vendors) online for others to purchase.

It seems really cheezy now, but back in the 90's, the web was VERY new, and the thought of an online store where people could purchase scrapbook supplies was a very new concept.

The graphic design end of things we targeted webmasters and how they could setup reseller accounts and make that extra income. Again, all "new-ish" concepts in the early 2000's.

Today? I'm not sure how a show would work. I've been invited to many for SEO - again, targeting webdesigners, and the general public - but it's not really a "show" product. We don't sell courses etc, so that pretty much removes any thought of a show and instead dump the money into PPC or online where I know I have targeted eyes.

I think some industries definitely still have an angle in the shows - and if you're the only hosting company at a particular niche show, it might be worth it. We were invited (as web designers) to a show for Accountants which happens every year. We'd be the only design company presenting among vendors showcasing accounting software etc - again, it's niched, and for the right price, the booth can be worth it.

The target audience is the big factor. We have had success at local chamber or BBB events!