Is it possible to "oversell" a domain?

I have a few domains in my back pocket I do not plan on using anymore. I paid a fair amount and I know I can get back what I paid. My question is, however... Can I oversell the domain?

What I mean is can I actually convince someone to pay more for it than I did and turn it into a profit? I don't have much experience with domain flipping/auctioning so I would like to hear from those of you who do.

I have a few domains in my back pocket I do not plan on using anymore. I paid a fair amount and I know I can get back what I paid. My question is, however... Can I oversell the domain?

What I mean is can I actually convince someone to pay more for it than I did and turn it into a profit? I don't have much experience with domain flipping/auctioning so I would like to hear from those of you who do.

you can sell a domain on for as much as you want

You can always ask for the price you want. The market will correct it.

What I mean by that is that you are either going to get your price, it will be sold for less or not sold at all.

You never know what the perceived value of a domain in a prospect's eye is until you put it out there. As Artashes said, there will always be a market correction.

You can oversell a domain but if that domain is the difference between them getting high amounts of traffic to the site then they would pay the price for it and try to make the money back.

You can sell your at higher price than actual cost but its not an easy business.

You need marketing tricks, tips and work hard to sell domain.

You can overprice a domain name all day long;

I've got one here for $200,000 if you're interested and it's awesome. The potential is amazing and you really can't pass it up.

That said, you'll probably pass it up, because "mydogisanidiot.com" is not something YOU see potential in, but there's a huge market for it. I can sit on it for $10/year and maybe nobody will ever buy it, but that's the investment risk I take :)

Now, to clarify, I don't own that name, but think of the potential - all the viral videos etc. The upsell to the domain is amazing, but only to the right buyer.

So go ahead, sell your domain for your asking price. If a buyer agrees with your advertised price, they'll buy it. If not, you negotiate.

yes Created on 2008-08-22 and the IP belongs to Google
Like you, I did a whois query right after I left my second post.

Maybe the link will help their site so they can sell it :) hehe And if they lead back to this post and want to sell it, I'll buy it (but not for $200k, I don't see the potential) :D

So just throwing the names out there and asking for a higher price can actually work? Hmm... I am not sure what my domains would actual value at but I guess it can't hurt to try. If it is too high I am sure someone will point it out or no one will buy it.

LOL'd at the "mydogisanidiot.com" (my dog was being a right idiot today so the potential for that was there)

Actually, lots of people are kinda hoarding domain names and wait for someone to look for it. If you are lucky and you have a domain that they need for their company they will be willing to pay you much money to get it.

Actually, lots of people are kinda hoarding domain names and wait for someone to look for it.

That is true, that happens a lot, especially among those that try to approach it from a business/investment perspective, hoping to sell the domain at a later time for higher amount.

And yet this is most common biggest mistake a "domain investor" makes. Brokering a domain for the right price takes a lot of work and most of it is done through proactive direct approaches to target audience, as well as a functional sales system in place. So, those thinking of venturing into this field, don't just sit on your names, don't rely that someone out there will run to you. You have to place yourself out there.

I actually have an Indian friend who hoard domains more than 30 domains in his name and he is getting an email if he wanted to sell his domain/domains. But you need to be lucky of course!

I actually have an Indian friend who hoard domains more than 30 domains in his name and he is getting an email if he wanted to sell his domain/domains. But you need to be lucky of course!

30 domains is hardly hoarding. It comes down to how quality the names are. I'd rather have less high quality names than hundreds of average ones.

We've operated under many different brands, but have been consolidating under the brands which seem to be the most appealing.

Since we have the .com, .co.uk, .net, .info, .me, etc for each of the domains, as we have let them go I get emails like.

Dear xxxx

I have recently purchased domains blahblahblah.net and notice that you have many similar, I could let you have this for as little as $500+

If I find myself with spare time, I write back and say. Oh, yes, that was my domain that I let go, I can sell you the other 5 for $2500+ if you like.

I never hear back!

We've operated under many different brands, but have been consolidating under the brands which seem to be the most appealing.

Since we have the .com, .co.uk, .net, .info, .me, etc for each of the domains, as we have let them go I get emails like.

Dear xxxx

I have recently purchased domains blahblahblah.net and notice that you have many similar, I could let you have this for as little as $500+

If I find myself with spare time, I write back and say. Oh, yes, that was my domain that I let go, I can sell you the other 5 for $2500+ if you like.

I never hear back!
I get them emails too. I even had 1 once that offered to sell me a domain i already owned as it was due to expire.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hostys