Is (environmental) sustainability important to you?

John @ S4

I try to be as green and sustainability conscious as possible in every aspect of my life. When we started a hosting company a year ago it in part to fulfil a need that we had for our own and client sites to be hosted as ethically and sustainably as possible.

There are some parts of that which have taken effort and some things we are still working on, and yet some parts are so easy, like choosing data centres that use renewable energy and efficient cooling, possibly reusing the generated heat to power local homes and businesses.

I fell like this should not be anything special but should just be a standard, new data centres should all be built in this way and existing ones should be retrofitted as and when they can be, yet more and more are being built around the world that don't fit these standards. As quickly as they are being built, enterprises, hosting providers and ultimately site owners are flocking to them and the amazing amount of CO2 produced by the internet just keeps on going up.

The transport industry is changing, governments are legislating more to make heavy industry greener, and many other sectors are making changes, but data centres and web hosting don't seem to pay any attention at all.

So, I guess my question is, do you think this is an important issue, do you feel that this is something that we need to fundamentally change across the industry?