How to combat abuse

SenseiSteve

HD Moderator
Staff member
To combat abuse, shared hosting providers typically throttle the amount of resources that any one client can use over a given period of time.

What could be types of abuse and what measures could web hosting providers implement to counter them?

Nowadays, every web hosting providers use CloudLinux OS, which helps them to prevent the overuse of allocated resources. Also, we can use cache & CDN to reduce the server load.

Can you provide evidence to back this up as i know many that dont
According to CloudLinux website: 4,000+ companies trust CloudLinux to run more than 20 million of customer websites.

I have mostly seen, CloudLinux OS is standard with all shared hosting companies.

According to CloudLinux website: 4,000+ companies trust CloudLinux to run more than 20 million of customer websites.

I have mostly seen, CloudLinux OS is standard with all shared hosting companies.
but not all shared hosting providers use Cloudlinux, so provide evidence that ALL hosting providers do as that is what you stated.

Worldwide, there are over 330,000 web hosting providers so 4,000 does not touch a majority of providers.

but not all shared hosting providers use Cloudlinux, so provide evidence that ALL hosting providers do as that is what you stated.

Worldwide, there are over 330,000 web hosting providers so 4,000 does not touch a majority of providers.
And majority of them don't offer shared hosting. 🙂

Can you provide evidence.
Mostly I know are using CloudLinux to attain much higher density from the server.
I sell hosting and i dont use CloudLinux, so can you provide evidence that every webhost uses Cloudlinux which you state.
CloudLinux website only states 4,000+ companies trust CloudLinux, this does not say they use Cloudlinux, but then as of 2020 as I showed Worldwide, there are over 330,000 web hosting providers
so as a percentage Cloudlinux only accounts for 1.21% of worldwide hosting providers

A lot of shared hosting providers use CloudLinux but I'd be fairly sure that there are more that don't.

CloudLinux is a great product by the way, but it's not the only way to run a secure and stable shared hosting server.

But getting back to the original question...

What could be types of abuse and what measures could web hosting providers implement to counter them?

Anything that uses significantly more resources than hosting a 'normal' website could be seen as abuse if someone is doing it without previous agreement. Any kind of attempts at heavy data processing or crypto mining for example.

Using a hosting service that has mail for sending out spam would be abuse in most people's opinion as well.

I sell hosting and i dont use CloudLinux, so can you provide evidence that every webhost uses Cloudlinux which you state.
CloudLinux website only states 4,000+ companies trust CloudLinux, this does not say they use Cloudlinux, but then as of 2020 as I showed Worldwide, there are over 330,000 web hosting providers
so as a percentage Cloudlinux only accounts for 1.21% of worldwide hosting providers
We also do not use Cloudlinux, we find our method of limiting resource use allows our clients to have maximum resources when available and also keep the servers stable by not allowing services get overrun. Personally I dislike CL tremendously and the method used to managed resource used, it in itself uses up a ton of resources.

Like most people on here I do find cloudlinux very useful for this, as well as other software such as cpguard and mail services such as mailbaby.

However you cannot beat old fashion monitoring, its not hard to monitor who uses what resource.

As mentioned, Spam email can be a problem along with accounts using memory or CPU heavy scripts or apps. Another issue can be accounts using poorly coded templates, themes or plugins and a lack of optimisation such as images.

We also find CloudLinux very useful, however, we do have a range of monitoring services to keep everything working smoothly.

As mentioned, Spam email can be a problem along with accounts using memory or CPU heavy scripts or apps. Another issue can be accounts using poorly coded templates, themes or plugins and a lack of optimisation such as images.

We also find CloudLinux very useful, however, we do have a range of monitoring services to keep everything working smoothly.
The main issue is people not updating out-of-date scripts like WordPress, these updates are to provide more security features, etc.
Yes your site will still work using an old script, but being an old script makes your site vulnerable

The main issue is people not updating out-of-date scripts like WordPress, these updates are to provide more security features, etc.
Yes your site will still work using an old script, but being an old script makes your site vulnerable
This is why Softaculous is useful and should always be used because it's upgrading your stuff automatically.