How to check for SSD or HDD?

SpdyHost

Hello,

I purchased a VPS from a well known provider for personal use (non-hosting related) and I'm kind of skeptical on whether or not I'm being delivered a VPS with a SSD or HDD. I bought one with an SSD and I checked the device manager and it just says "QEMU HARDDISK ATA Device," so I'm not sure where else to look. The processor information in System Settings also says something similar like QUEMU Virtual Processor CPU Version." This is on a Windows Server 2008 R2 machine.

Thank you!

Try this - should give you some context of drive speed in windows.

Open elevated command prompt...

winsat disk -drive e

Last edited:
You may check whether there are SSD or HDD drives on your Windows server by using Windows System Information Tool:
1) To open system information tool, go to Run –> msinfo32
2) A new window will open. You need to expand to Components –> Storage –> Disks from the left hand menu tree
3) The right hand pane will give you detailed information about each hard drive attached to the system. The information doesn’t have any headings so you’ll need to find out details of each hard drive with care.

Latest kernel used to detect the SSD or HDD automatically. You can fire fdisk -l to find the exact path of the HDD.

# sudo smartctl -a /dev/sda -- This will help you to find whether your VPS has the SSD or HDD.

Since you are talking about a virtual machine and not a physical one, I doubt any software tool will be able to tell you what type of disk it is, as that is abstracted away from the end user.

Also remember that VPSs have I/O constraints that stop customers using all of the disk I/O, so even benmarking software will only show you the throughput your host has allowed you to acheive.

When purchasing a VPS you need only concern yourself with this

• Does it perform well enough to do the job I am going to give it?
  • Is it reliable enough to do the job I a going to give it?

If you are using a VPS to see how hard you can hit the disks, your fellow tennants won't want to share with you.

Because the virtualization is obscuring the drive configuration, you may have better luck sleuthing out what disks you have by asking the vendor very specific questions.

What model of disks?
What size of disks?
What vendor makes the disks?
How many disks are in a VPS node?

Ask over time and from various methods (livechat, ticket, etc.) to see if their answers piece together into something that makes sense. It's pretty difficult to maintain a complex lie and eventually it unravels.

Hi,

We can check the harddisk status via the command li cmd and shell.
1. cat /sys/block/sda/queue/rotational (linux)
2. Get-PhysicalDisk |select * (window on powershell)

Hello,

I purchased a VPS from a well known provider for personal use (non-hosting related) and I'm kind of skeptical on whether or not I'm being delivered a VPS with a SSD or HDD. I bought one with an SSD and I checked the device manager and it just says "QEMU HARDDISK ATA Device," so I'm not sure where else to look. The processor information in System Settings also says something similar like QUEMU Virtual Processor CPU Version." This is on a Windows Server 2008 R2 machine.

Thank you!

So did it turn out to be SSD or HDD?

Each virtualization type has it's own disk&driver, like ploop for openvz , virtio for kvm , VMDK for vmware, and so on ... You won't be able to tell for sure, but running a benchmark that provides IOPS should tell you something. For example, a normal disk should have about 300 IOPS, but can get higher in Raid storage with many disks. SSD can have up to 90k. However, running under a virtualized enviroment, I doubt you will get 90k, but if you get more than 10k , it should tell you that it's ssd.

This may help you to check the disk type on windows

- Go to start
- Search 'Optimize'
- Click Defragment and optimize Drives
- Find your drive type under Media Type