How many reseller accounts do you have?

IkY0294

HD Addicted
I want to know, Whats the ideal number of reseller accounts a host or person has..

Im currently up to my third one. I still have a VPS server on the side in a few locations but reseller hosting just makes a lot more things that would be complicated easier doesn't it?

Whats your favorite service? So far I can say resellers are my desert :)

Currently using 9 across different locations, with 4 separate providers. It can make things much easier if done properly using reputable providers. You're only as good as your upstream providers when you resell. :thumbup:

I also do have a few VPS and dedi as well for backups and testing purposes. :shh:

The ideal number? It will differ for everyone. If you're charging a local company $75 per month for a web hosting package, web design inc maintenance etc then you can probably do with a single reseller package and move strait to a VPS/Dedicated server when needed.

If you're on a reseller account selling hosting at $1 per month you're going to need a lot of reseller accounts given time before one can consider purchasing a VPS or dedicated server.

So to sum this up, it really depends on the type of business someone is running.

Im currently up to my third one. I still have a VPS server on the side in a few locations but reseller hosting just makes a lot more things that would be complicated easier doesn't it?

Yeah. I think the big shock that shared resellers have when making the leap to VPS or dedicated is that they either need some sort of management package or they need to assume the responsibilities of acting as a system administrator. This cost/responsibility is built into a reseller hosting account, but often isn't with a VPS or dedicated server. So to directly answer that question, reseller hosting simplifies system administration responsibility.

Of course, with a VPS or dedicated server, you're often afforded a larger feature set. For example, if your shared hosting plan doesn't have CloudLinux and that's something you want to build into your setup, you'd need to be able to modify the kernel. You can't do that on reseller hosting, but you can on a VPS or dedicated server.

Currently using 9 across different locations, with 4 separate providers. It can make things much easier if done properly using reputable providers. You're only as good as your upstream providers when you resell. :thumbup:

I also do have a few VPS and dedi as well for backups and testing purposes. :shh:

You make a great point. Being diverse and spreading your hosting around multiple providers is a great idea!

This is something we continually impress upon our clients as well.

Don't sacrifice security and quality. It is not ideal to jump into affordable web hosts in which in the long run can lead to many problems such as web site accessibility and, worst, shutting down of web site.

At one time I had 3 different reseller accounts with 2 hosts. Then I moved everything to 3 vps with 2 hosts, then I movd up to 2 dedicated servers, and now 2 additional vps for DNS wth 1 host.

I guess the number of any type of hosting is what you are comfortable with supporting, or paying for support.

When we used to offer webhosting (6 years ago) we had around 20 resellers, we still have a majority of those running on older machines, they never complaint nor do their clients complaint (i think) there's no ideal number, whichever works for you.

When we used to offer webhosting (6 years ago) we had around 20 resellers, we still have a majority of those running on older machines, they never complaint nor do their clients complaint (i think) there's no ideal number, whichever works for you.

What was your name 6 years ago in the hosting industry? And what happened to all your resellers?

Would be interested to hear why you stopped offering it also.

Don't sacrifice security and quality. It is not ideal to jump into affordable web hosts in which in the long run can lead to many problems such as web site accessibility and, worst, shutting down of web site.

I would also say the same that don't sacrifice the security and quality even if you go for large numbers. You can have as many accounts as you want.

Finding the right kinds of resellers is more important than getting just anyone. My suggestion is to find some unique resellers who really add value to the services they provide, don't waste your time with just anyone.

Depends on the number of clients the person has and the requirements. Just so you know....one can have as many as they want.

At one point in time I realized most clients where going for reseller hosting that shared hosting.

In actual fact they where not reselling, but used it to create numerous accounts for theme selves. So most people who sign up for a reseller account are not actually resellers.

We're up to 5 resellers now and used for our business clients only as part of turnkey packages managing their businesses.

Each reseller is set up to handle certain hosting needs our client's sites call for.

One of the resellers is for our office only to test on. We build their sites on our test reseller. When the client approves their site we then make a cpanel account for their site on the reseller that best serves their needs for hosting.

By having resellers we've found them to be much easier for us to manage their sites instead of having them strung out all over the place with hosting companies.

The resellers work much better for us than a vps or dedi.

At one point in time I realized most clients where going for reseller hosting that shared hosting.

In actual fact they where not reselling, but used it to create numerous accounts for theme selves. So most people who sign up for a reseller account are not actually resellers.

I think that around 9% of our resellers are actually reselling. The majority are digital agencies or web-developers who "throw in" webhosting.

To me the word is trust,because can you trust some provider that puts ads on the ips that sells to you on their https,its price,its safety might b easier but you dont have the root,if your provider fails in managing server ur clients wil tell you by bye baby bye bye