Help with private server

akingsr

Hello everyone.
I will try to keep this simple as I have the urge to ramble sometimes.

I want to setup a web/media server at home to share media files with family and close friends. I want to have a form to enter the details about the file into the database and upload the file to the upload folder inside the html folder. I have tried the setup on two different machines and two different installs but I run into the same issue with each so I have got to be doing something wrong.

Details:
1st setup- Dell desktop 2GB ram 750GB HDD, ubuntu server 16.04 PHP7.0 apache2.4 --
vsftpd- installed
ports 20-22, 80, 8088 are open in firewall and router
I changed
open tags on / max file 3000M / max post 3000M / max execution time 10000 /
file write on / file permissions are 644 / folders 775 / with myself:myself ownership and nearly all users added to group "myself".
(this ubuntu server only connects to DB with PDO)

2nd setup - HP desktop 8GB ram 1.5TB HDD, centos7 PHP5.6
other settings are the same as above.

I am able to write html/PHP and insert into the database, but file upload is not working. I have installed wordpress to test and sure enough unable to write to directory or install themes / plugins automatically, manual install works but defeats my intent. I even tried 777 on anything inside wordpress folder just to see.

Next I tried to install cumulusclips but get error: unable to connect to ftp server with same info used with filezilla and ssh.

I have searched and read hundreds of guides but nothing has worked so far, and I hope I didn't leave any thing out. I know what I want can be done, but never manage my own server before so any point in the right direction would be great.