Google is no longer the most popular website

Artashes

Administrator
Staff member
It's quite hard to wrap your mind around it, but TikTok is now the most visited "website", according to Cloudflare Radar.

It brings a question whether TikTok has the capability to turn into the next big search engine for a the new generation. Google search engine performance, according to some, has been slipping.

Michael Seibel, a partner at YCombinator certainly thinks so, as he wrote a rather lengthy thread about it on Twitter:

Thoughts?

I have to admit that I too click on TikTok more each week than I do on Google, but TikTok passing Google for search? Don't see it.

I don't think that I have ever been to TikTok, but it appears I'm in a tiny minority.

When it comes to search, an increasing number of people are using an alternative search engine that donates to a good cause, or is more privacy focused, but almost all of them are still using results that are powered by Google or Bing (or in some cases both), so while Google's actual visits might take a slight hit, it's still powering the same amount of searches.

I've never been to TikTok or Instagram :) I'm sure I've seen both in my Facebook feed, however, but I've never been to either place. And Pinterest, I've been there a few times, but with no account, you can't look at anything more than 1 page (usually when I'm researching ideas or clients). No Snapchat or other.

I guess I'm only on Facebook, Twitter (business only), YouTube or LinkedIn (business profile) - and even those are limited timed activities.

I'm *definitely* in the minority!

TikTok has been named as the fastest growing social media platform of all time, making the shortlist as one of the most downloaded apps globally for the past three years.

You guys are missing the point. TikTik generation learns from TikTok. And if they go to TikTok to withdraw information, that means they are searching it for some type of answers.

It may be a shocker to us, but TikTok was named by 6% of adults as their news source. Brace yourselves.

Attachments

• 2022-01-11 15.53.23.jpg
    2022-01-11 15.53.23.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 2
These days people will turn to Facebook etc. ' Is ** shop open today' etc. as they want others to search for them as they are too lazy to type the same question into Google and get the answer themselves.

Never heard of the Joy of Mising Out, but FOMO I've been around that for too many years. I don't remember what it was called previous to that term, but the same principals have applied in sales for years.

It's probably the #1 sales tactic. It's why pretty much every sale says "Limited Time Only", "Limited Supplies", "Only 25 left" or similar phrasing. FOMO is a huge motivator.