dont trust Namecheap with your domains.

easyhostmedia

I think its time Namecheap got a better clock and calender, as their current ones dont work

i got this email
"11/03/2014 03:53

Dear Terry,

This notice is to inform you that one of your domains is expiring
soon. When a domain name expires, you will experience an interruption in service on your website, email and any other associated services. Renew your domain as soon as possible to avoid any issues with your website or email.

Details of the domain are provided below.

Domain Name : tophostinguk.info
Registered on : 3/11/2011
Registered for : 3 year(s)
Expires on : 3/11/2014
Days to Expire : 1"

then another one at "11/03/2014 09:00

There was some activity in your namecheap account. Information on what type of change occurred is available below.

Notification For : NAMESERVER
Date : 3/11/2014 4:45:58 AM
IP Address : ********
Username : ********
Domain (if relevant) : tophostinguk.info

Old Details
-----------

Custom Nameservers:
ns1.tophostinguk.info
ns2.tophostinguk.info

New Details
-----------

Custom Nameservers:
dns101.registrar-servers.com
dns102.registrar-servers.com

Additional Information
----------------------
Nameserver for your domain was updated/ attempted to be updated "

and then a third one "11/03/2014 10:03
Dear Terry,

This notice is to inform you that one of your domains has expired. Please act fast and reactivate the domain as soon as possible.

Details of the domain are provided below.

Domain Name : tophostinguk.info
Registered on : 3/11/2011 12:00:00 AM
Registered for : 3 year(s)
Expired on : 3/11/2014 10:46:08 AM"

strange that when i went to school 1 day was 24 hrs, but it seems that to namecheap 1 day is only 1 hr 32 minutes which is from the time i got MY ONLY notification of the domain expiry at 11/03/2014 03:53 to the time Namecheap decided to take down my site by ILLEGALLY changing the nameservers at 3/11/2014 4:45:58 AM.
even if you check the domain should of expired 3/11/2014 10:46:08 AM so they changed the nameservers and took down my site 6 hrs before the domain actually expired.

Did you renew the domain? This is a risk with any registrar. I always either auto renew or renew a month ahead of time. I see your point as to what happened, but maybe a best practice would be to renew earlier.

I only auto renew mission critical domains, which this is and was set to auto renew. i am still waiting for them to reply to my support tickets. i am in the process of moving all my domains from these as why would i want domains with children that can run their own system. as the domain is expired i can transfer it away and if Namecheap think i will pay them to renew the domain they can think again. so they will be invoiced for any of my loses.

i meant to say

as the domain is expired i can't transfer it away and if Namecheap think i will pay them to renew the domain they can think again.

so not only does namecheap have no clue how to handle SSL renewal they dont know how to handle domain services.

so after 4 days i just got this message

Dear Terry ,

Thank you for contacting us and we deeply apologize for the delay with the reply.

We are forwarding the ticket to our management team for further assistance in this case. Kindly allow some time for the ticket to be updated as management is not in the office during weekends.

Thank you.

------------------
Regards,
Mary S.
Domain Team Lead
Customer Support

Good luck getting this resolved with them. So they only sent you 1 notification prior to the domain expiring?

I must admit, whilst Namecheap has been a top recommended registrar from me my domain count with them has dramatically decreased as I move everything over to my domain reseller account, better pricing and more control.

As my domains approach their expiration date I usually move them to my domain reseller if I wanted to keep it otherwise just let it expire in Namecheap. Eventually I will have 0 domains with them, or 0 important ones anyway.

Good luck getting this resolved with them. So they only sent you 1 notification prior to the domain expiring?

I must admit, whilst Namecheap has been a top recommended registrar from me my domain count with them has dramatically decreased as I move everything over to my domain reseller account, better pricing and more control.

As my domains approach their expiration date I usually move them to my domain reseller if I wanted to keep it otherwise just let it expire in Namecheap. Eventually I will have 0 domains with them, or 0 important ones anyway.

yes Alex only 1 noticed 1 1/2 hours before they expired it

i have just got this message

Hello Terry,

My name is Marta, I am the manager of Domains Customer Support team at Namecheap, Inc. Your ticket has been escalated to me for further assistance.

We must sincerely apologize for all the inconveniences caused by the issue. It has been already forwarded to our developers for further investigation. We do understand the urgency of the matter and your frustration caused by the issue.

Please let me inform you that tophostinguk.info domain name has been renewed for 1 additional year for you.

We will keep working on the matter though.

In case we may be of any further assistance, please let us know.

would be great, but they have not bothered changing the nameservers back, so not got it in the same state as it was before they expired the domain. so yet another message sent to them to get this sorted.

yes i will also be moving domains away from them

yes Alex only 1 noticed 1 1/2 hours before they expired it

i have just got this message

would be great, but they have not bothered changing the nameservers back, so not got it in the same state as it was before they expired the domain. so yet another message sent to them to get this sorted.

yes i will also be moving domains away from them

Did they renew it for free or was you charged?

Whilst they should revert their changes (that I believe their system made automatically as most registrars do once they expire), are you unable to renew this domain in the Namecheap profile area?

Did they renew it for free or was you charged?

Whilst they should revert their changes (that I believe their system made automatically as most registrars do once they expire), are you unable to renew this domain in the Namecheap profile area?

they renewed at their expense, as they should as the domain was set on autorenew and funds were their for it, in my account all the nameservers are as i set them, so it is their system that needs to change these.

personally i think namecheap are under the impression they can do what they want and no one can do anything about it. When they messed up a Comodo ssl renewal on 2 occasions i reported the issue to Comodo and all i got back was ' namecheap are our biggest partner and have been for many years'

Last edited:
I have had a few dozen domains with Namecheap for a number of years. Never had an issue with them.

they renewed at their expense, as they should as the domain was set on autorenew and funds were their for it, in my account all the nameservers are as i set them, so it is their system that needs to change these.

personally i think namecheap are under the impression they can do what they want and no one can do anything about it. When they messed up a Comodo ssl renewal on 2 occasions i reported the issue to Comodo and all i got back was ' namecheap are our biggest partner and have been for many years'

As a matter of fact I can explain this. As you might have noticed, they had a major renovation of their website recently. Despite being long-waited and needed, it did not go as smoothly as planned, as many our customers mentioned they were frustrated with unavailability of Namecheap services.

Most probably, as the issue was passed to developers, it was caused by that renovation and code updates. Namecheap renewed your domain manually according to your statement and in case they did not update the nameservers - you could do it in 5 minutes (they have detailed instructions here https://www.namecheap.com/support/k...ow-can-i-change-the-nameservers-for-my-domain - I found it in 2 minutes) if this domain is critical for you.

As we all know, sh1t happens. In your case Namecheap did all they could. I could bet my last hat Godaddy would simply ignore your requests. Or respond in a week, when it is too late.

Try requesting additional discounts. Or move all your domains away, the choice is yours, of course.

As a matter of fact I can explain this. As you might have noticed, they had a major renovation of their website recently. Despite being long-waited and needed, it did not go as smoothly as planned, as many our customers mentioned they were frustrated with unavailability of Namecheap services.

Most probably, as the issue was passed to developers, it was caused by that renovation and code updates. Namecheap renewed your domain manually according to your statement and in case they did not update the nameservers - you could do it in 5 minutes (they have detailed instructions here https://www.namecheap.com/support/k...ow-can-i-change-the-nameservers-for-my-domain - I found it in 2 minutes) if this domain is critical for you.

As we all know, sh1t happens. In your case Namecheap did all they could. I could bet my last hat Godaddy would simply ignore your requests. Or respond in a week, when it is too late.

Try requesting additional discounts. Or move all your domains away, the choice is yours, of course.

I know how to change nameservers etc. i am not new to this game as i have been a web host since 1999. It was the way it happened. i always have mission critical domain set to autorenew and have the funds in my account to cover these, which i did in this case, but their system failed. The fixed this manually, but only after i caused a stink.

I clearly understand your frustration.

Yet as I said - sh1t happens. And Namecheap deals with it much faster than Godaddy, for example.

The reason was not their selfishness or disdane to you. They were running with their heads burning during the website update and they dealt with your request as soon as they could.

The fact that domain expired 1.5 hours after you received a notification should ring a bell it was a force majeure. It was their fault, nonetheless, and they corrected everything, I assume.

Many companies could simply forward you to their TOS, where force majeure is stated as a reason, relieving the company from any responsibility.

Clearly 1 case (which ended to your satisfaction) cannot serve as a basis for blaming a company in whole. Their service is still one of the best possible.

Hopefully, this will not happen to you again with them.

I clearly understand your frustration.

Yet as I said - sh1t happens. And Namecheap deals with it much faster than Godaddy, for example.

The reason was not their selfishness or disdane to you. They were running with their heads burning during the website update and they dealt with your request as soon as they could.

The fact that domain expired 1.5 hours after you received a notification should ring a bell it was a force majeure. It was their fault, nonetheless, and they corrected everything, I assume.

Many companies could simply forward you to their TOS, where force majeure is stated as a reason, relieving the company from any responsibility.

Clearly 1 case (which ended to your satisfaction) cannot serve as a basis for blaming a company in whole. Their service is still one of the best possible.

Hopefully, this will not happen to you again with them.

regardless to if they are updating their website they should never make these mistakes. they still could not explain whey i never got any previous renewal notices. I have had issues with them in the past regarding SSL certs as they are great when you register and SSL but when you either have to reissue an SSL or renew one they always mess it up. this is why i ever use them for SSL certs.

I have yet to have a problem using Namecheap. I get constant updates via email and really no problems whatsoever.

I use namecheap and have not had a problem although I am not using their autorenew system. If I have any issues with them I am always able to transfer my domain to my enom account. I only use them as I like to keep my domains within a different system then my client domains.

We had been having some issues with NC for about a year. Some small and some a little on the serious side and we had used them for several years without any problems.

Their support had gotten to the point a lot of times trying to point the finger at us when there was no way we could have generated the problem.

A few months ago they really, and I mean seriously. messed over one of our clients big time and it cost him enough that it got our attention also more than out of the ordinary.

We looked at his support ticket he had and then we contacted them and got the same response...sorry about that, things happen sometimes, contact us if we can be of further help to you.

We did...we started moving several 100 domains out from them to another registrar.

They keep easing up on their prices to the point where we had started going with other registrars.

We're buying domains several dollars cheaper than NC and have been doing business with these registrars also with never a problem.

In our business two things can make or break a client with us..fast with smart support persons and money talks.

Happy Easter everyone!
Kabe

Namecheap is one of the selection for domain registration and SSL. They have good support as well. This must be a glitch in their system and due to this you faced this issue.

I don't have any domain registration with them but I am purchasing SSL certificates from them since last several years and never had a problem. For technical assistance, I got my answer from their live chat most of the time.

I have always used namecheap , they are cheap and I've never had problems with them, had more than 30 domains with them so far and 0 problems..