Dedicated or VPS

SenseiSteve

HD Moderator
Staff member
Whether you should go with a dedicated server or a VPS isn’t as simple as price because what you should be looking for is which type of server most closely matches your specific web hosting requirements, not just for today, but for years down the road.

Is it better to start small and upgrade as required or should you acquire ample resources upfront and grow into them?

bigredseo

HD Community Advisor
Staff member
Some of it could depend on the contract you're locked into.

If you get the right host, you should be able to upgrade or downgrade and receive a charge/credit when doing so. MOST hosts don't do the credit thing when downgrading, so you have to find a special host to do that.

My recommendation is to move to a VPS when the needs require it. Every dollar counts when starting out, so keeping a tight string on the wallet can help.

If you can see yourself growing in the next 30 days to needing the extra space, then it's usually worth upgrading so you don't have to think about things, but again, it'll depend on contracts.

I just recommended to a client last week that he downgrade from his VPS to a shared hosting account. He didn't know why he had a VPS (for the past 4 years) other than it was something someone recommended. Looking at his bandwidth and usage, he's doing less than 20GB bandwidth in a month, and minimal CPU/Memory usage. No reason to be paying for a VPS - yet, GoDaddy has him locked in with no credit for the next 8 months. That's sucky!

SenseiSteve

HD Moderator
Staff member
'GoDaddy' and 'sucky' (or many other variants of the word) are things that we hear a lot in the same sentence from new clients who have had hosting with GD and are happy to be moving away from it.
I concur as all of my experience with GoDaddy has been abominable. I can't begin to tell you how many times I tried to update sites on GoDaddy websites only to get "Under Maintenance."

server

Whether you should go with a dedicated server or a VPS isn’t as simple as price because what you should be looking for is which type of server most closely matches your specific web hosting requirements, not just for today, but for years down the road.

Is it better to start small and upgrade as required or should you acquire ample resources upfront and grow into them?
Come on. It's 2021 already. Anyone heard about cloud (don't have to like this word, but it's there)? Why we talk about VPSes or dedis yet? Just for them being cheaper?

SenseiSteve

HD Moderator
Staff member
Come on. It's 2021 already. Anyone heard about cloud (don't have to like this word, but it's there)? Why we talk about VPSes or dedis yet? Just for them being cheaper?
Why do we talk about VPS and dedicated servers? Hmmm ... what do you envision as the current market share between these three? How about 5 years out?

server

Why do we talk about VPS and dedicated servers? Hmmm ... what do you envision as the current market share between these three? How about 5 years out?
Every hosting service is based on hardware, how you manage that hardware on software level is another question. But why choose less reliable solutions instead of newer and more advanced - I don't get it. It's time of data and CO2 migration to clouds. If later process might be limited, first is unstoppable already.

Why so many people try to think what will be in 5 years? Are there so many brilliant forecasters? Considering current political tensions there might be nothing. In more cheerful scenario I hope that robotic lawnmowers will be able to detect dog poop by that time.

bigredseo

HD Community Advisor
Staff member
For me, I still have VPS and Dedicated Servers for some specific tasks, but you're right, everything else is hosted on a cloud somewhere.

The reason for the VPS and Dedicated Server on our end has to do with software - more specifically, custom modules compiled into Apache that Cloud Service providers would not normally do. Some items need a full root compile and then the power of a dedicated server. We also have a few enterprise clients that need full isolation. But the majority run shared hosting and cloud. They're not resellers though, they're end-users.

From a reseller end of things, VPS and Dedicated is still the route used by the majority of hosting companies these days. I know there are modules for WHMCS to spin up Google Cloud instances, but I've no idea how pricing on that kind of setup would relate to that of VPS servers.

xTom

It depends on the program / script and system resource you use, in most case, a VPS is enough.