Datacenter in own home/office, the simple one

arcinisa

I see some peoples/companies do this, instead colocation they servers in public datacenter

its so simple, they just using a little room, and using 1/2 PK air conditioner

i still dont know about the network, but they websites looks like fast enough & already running for few years

what is your experience about this? specially the network/internet access

If you are well enough to manage and run the inhouse datacenter, you can run. But definitely it will be cost you more then renting the space or getting cloud server from some best provider.

As for inhouse datacenter setup you need to contact to many vendors and have setup which inturn take more of your time and money too.

We recommend to co-locate or get servers from high level DCs where it will be cost effective and you hardly need few hours time to decide the vendor and start your services.

Hope this help you!

Being IT consultant, for small/startup OR medium size companies, we recommend to go with Colocation.

For big companies, we recommend for in-house data center.

This whitepaper may help you to get some more details about Owning versus Outsourcing Data Center.

Best of luck. :)

Being IT consultant, for small/startup OR medium size companies, we recommend to go with Colocation.

For big companies, we recommend for in-house data center.

This whitepaper may help you to get some more details about Owning versus Outsourcing Data Center.

Best of luck. :)
How would you differentiate between medium and big companies? Gross annual revenues? Some other indicator?

How would you differentiate between medium and big companies? Gross annual revenues? Some other indicator?

Gross annual revenues as we as how many cabinets they want to install.

For ex :-

Small companies - 1 to 50 servers - Colocation.
Medium companies - Upto 200 / 300 servers - Colocation or Owing DataCenter
Big companies - More than 300 servers - Owing DataCenter

Data center offer various services like vps hosting, cloud server hosting,dedicated server hosting, colocation server hosting,disaster recovery services etc.
These services are available & provided best with data center. They have the modern infrastructure & technology to handle your server well.
So, if you are going for colocation server services, please go with data centers only.

Colo is so cheap now then I can't imagine it being worth it to do it yourself in your office, or even worry about it being at your office. I guess if you already have your own IT staff and commercial network setup then it's probaly easy but just because you have an office doesn't mean you are a NOC

Colo is so cheap now then I can't imagine it being worth it to do it yourself in your office, or even worry about it being at your office. I guess if you already have your own IT staff and commercial network setup then it's probaly easy but just because you have an office doesn't mean you are a NOC

i agree, what about power, and clean power, and Fire suppression equipment, what about back up power, diesel generator? and multiple bandwidth providers and fibre .. makes no sense to have this in house.
except for non mission critical stuff, that is not important if its lost.

a false alarm and a sprinkler goes off, the equipment is damaged .. is it worth it? look carefully at power cost, power in a business unit might cost more than you think!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hostys