Cost of Domains

alex0

Hi,

What is the cost of .coms that you get from your provider ?
Is it worth becoming a REGISTRAR if you have 1000 domains ?

I believe to become a domain regsitrar is really hard, there's a certain terms, conditions and rules which your company need to pass.

However, its been easy now to offering domain registration since there's a lot of registrar/company that offering a domain reseller account.

There's a plenty of them such as Enom, Directi, SRS(some name that I know but doesnt have any experience with them). Some of them, required you to deposit certain amount to be eligible as their reseller while the other allow it for free.

Normally, their price structure are different between but could be based on a discount percent that apply for a certain amount of sales that you bring in.

Try look at their respective site to see the cost.

namecheap is free but I believe you have to sign some agreements and such. I have only resold a few, so do not know much about it, I haven't even done it in probably a year plus.

It wouldn't be worth it to become a register if you had 1,000 domains. You'd have to be a big player in the domain business like a Godaddy or Namecheap for it to be worth it.

No, it would not be worth going through all of the procedures to just register 1000 domains by yourself. I would recommend getting a good reseller account instead.

Nope, it's not worth becoming a registrar if you have 1000+ domains. Maybe if you have 100,000+... At 1k, you might just wanna keep to reselling.

According to me, it's not that easy to become domain name registrar with having 1000 domains under your account. You need to have big amount to become domain name registrar.

When I've started my hosting business 4 years ago, at first, I take a decision to become a domain register. After then, I surprised to see there (ICANN) rules & regulations, price list etc etc... So I cut the idea from my head.
Now I think, hosting business is best for me. Because its not so much and also good profitable business.

Shared my experience. Hope that will be helpful for someone. Thanks.

Hi,

What is the cost of .coms that you get from your provider ?
Is it worth becoming a REGISTRAR if you have 1000 domains ?

Maybe in the beginning of that craze. It's near impossible now. The costs are way to prohibitive and its difficult to gain market share in a marketplace dominated by registrars willing to sell their domains below cost.

Stick with wholesaler.

When is it worth to become a registrar for a hosting company?

I don't think there is a minimum but I don't think at 1000 domains is worth it.

There was a company (forgot the name) that assisted companies in becoming ICANN accredited. They did some big names such as HostGator etc and from what I can recall, they recommend having a minimum of 10,000 domains under management.

You have to look at the costs against your domain renewal revenue to determine if it will be worth it or not. Not only the application / ongoing ICANN fees but also profit per TLD etc.

As for a list of prices per TLD, this differs on the registrar but Verisign who manages .com and .net charges: $7.85 per year.

HAHAHAHA. WOW. After seeing those prices, I'd have to agree that it's not worth it.

Chad

The prices is not really that much. You don't pay ICANN $70,000 (just have to prove you have it), you don't have to pay $500,000 to anyone (just have the minimum insurance).

In reality, you're paying $3,500 for an application fee then $4,000 per year for ICANN status. Just doing very quick match here, around 2000 domains should cover the $4,000 annual fee which takes into account the $7.85 fee (not any additional fees such as ICANN's 18c fee) and based on you charging $10 per domain.

Now if you have the 'recommended' 10,000 domains, you can see how this would start to become worth it when taking into account ALL associated costs (registrar, ICANN fees, $4k fee etc).

But sure, for smaller companies it will cost you more than it would with a reseller. Once you have enough volume, it will actually pay for itself.

Last edited:
I think what everybody is missing here - is that there is more to being a registrar than simply filling out the forms and paying the funds.

You need the infrastructure to support it as well - DNS servers - software to run it all - etc.

There's a lot more to being a registrar than what has been outlined here in this thread.

Would I suggest it for 1,000 domains? No.

I have a follow up question.

As an example, let's take a web hosting company Host ABC. Host ABC is a top provider hosting 500,000 web sites, 20% of which registered the domain directly through Host ABC (100,000 domains).

Now, when bad things happen and a client wants to leave, to me it seems that the chances that a company will lose not only the hosting revenue, but also domain service revenue are much higher, since the client would likely want to take his domain away as well. So I guess my question is, if you are a hosting company that is either a registrar or seeking to become a domain registrar, unlike a traditional registrar (with domains being the only focus like Enom, Namecheap or GoDaddy, among others), how much more risk and weight does a hosting company carry in losing business? It just seems to me that no matter how many domains you have under management, 1,000 or 100,000, as a hosting company, you are a lot more susceptible to losing that business (compared to traditional domain registrars) when things don't go too well.

As far as i know whatever fees mentioned above is just for getting ICANN Accreditation, now there are so many TLD available, if you want to offer any of those TLD you need to again pay that particular company to enrol in their partner program and be able to sell their domains like .host .pro etc...

Not all new TLD are owned by verisign

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jean_garcia2