Buying all matching extensions ?

I know people do this all the time and it has been said that if you have the money, you may as well too.

So it has been said that buying up all the major extensions under your brand/site name is worth it. You just have the ones you wont be using redirect back to the main site or you do what Twitter does and gives you an error and tells you to go to the .COM domain.

What are some advantages to doing this, if any at all? Is it worth the investment?

If done right, and your business is in good shape, you generally don't need to worry about other extensions.

It does block out would be "domain squatters" or people trying to redirect to their own company, but a good Copyright Lawyer and a Registered Name will take care of that!

This is why you don't see AT&T buying "verizon.biz" and directing it to them. They're competing in the same space and it's a direct violation of fair business practices and copyright. Easily take that domain name in court.

Now, if you buy apple.us, and you sell microwaves, it's not a competing brand, so you are legally able to use that domain name without much recourse from the parent company.

Worth it to buy extensions? Not in my opinion. Market your own brand, trademark it, or an established business, and you have nothing to worry about.

*your results may vary :)

I think that's not important if your brand is good strong enough. Otherwise you can buy some popular extension such as .com, .net, .org, .info and your ccTLD. IMO

I've never concerned myself with buying other extensions. I always check TESS trademarks first before purchasing a domain name and I check if other extensions are being used.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I actually did a bit of research and heard from others that there is laws protecting your domain name so no one can infringe it. So I guess with that being covered, there is less of a reason to even worry about doing this.

Yes it's when you trademark your brand that protects it from someone infringing on it.

I only worry about one and that's the .net the other extensions I don't care much about.

Last edited:
Legally, you don't have to have it trademarked. It's easier to fight if you have it trademarked etc, but copyright laws and fair business practices are very linient when it comes to the web.

Once you publish something, it becomes your copyright (or that of the place it was published - depending on TOS/AUP)

Parody sites are on a whole different side of the law, but if you squat on a domain, then use their popularity to enhance your own in the same industry (deception/trickery), it's a slam dunk case in court.

Legally, you don't have to have it trademarked. It's easier to fight if you have it trademarked etc, but copyright laws and fair business practices are very linient when it comes to the web.

Once you publish something, it becomes your copyright (or that of the place it was published - depending on TOS/AUP)

Parody sites are on a whole different side of the law, but if you squat on a domain, then use their popularity to enhance your own in the same industry (deception/trickery), it's a slam dunk case in court.

Someone once told me that if you use someone else's image on your site that is on their own, they have the right to take action by asking you to remove it or even sue you over it. Not sure how far you get on that without copyrights. I would imagine if it was that easy, places that make memes and other gag images online would not flourish so well.

Someone once told me that if you use someone else's image on your site that is on their own, they have the right to take action by asking you to remove it or even sue you over it. Not sure how far you get on that without copyrights. I would imagine if it was that easy, places that make memes and other gag images online would not flourish so well.

100% true. Once an image (or content) is published online, it inherits a copyright. Actually, even writing something down on a napkin will inherit a copyright (although date of writing is harder to prove).

If you use an image that is copyrighted, the simple action is a DMCA filing. This is filed with both the web hosting company and with Google. Often times, the hosting company will remove the content, or disable the site. Failing that, Google will deindex the site for copyright violations.

Using images from movies, gifs etc, these are all copyright violations, and the TV/Movie industry go to great lengths to remove them.

The NFL is notorious for chasing after people. Normally it's just a takedown notice, but in repeat violations or excessive usage, they can take legal action.

I have prosecuted (and won) against people who have taken our Logo without consent. Now there ARE times when I have allowed the usage, such as in mutual promotion, or links etc - but technically, you should be getting image permission before usage, even when promoting someone else.