Best Dedicated Server Queries

SenseiSteve

HD Moderator
Staff member
I routinely see threads started on various web hosting forums from OPs asking which are the best dedicated server providers, for example in Europe or in the NE United States.

Essentially, there is no best dedicated hosting provider for everyone, only the one that is best for you, meaning one that most closely matches your web hosting requirements within your budget.

Quite often, I'll see responses based on price, even though that's not what the OP specifically asked. How important is their infrastructure? Or customer service? Or billing? Or reputation?

Your thoughts? What does "best" mean to you?

For me, it would be reliable uptime and quick response when a problem arises. 24x7 technical support is a must.

Also, the provider must be honest. I mean they should use new servers and new hardware for customers.

I was having nightmare with dedicated hosting before. The provider was using old servers which should be one of the reasons that my harddisk failed and the data was lost.

For me, it would be reliable uptime and quick response when a problem arises. 24x7 technical support is a must.

Also, the provider must be honest. I mean they should use new servers and new hardware for customers.

I was having nightmare with dedicated hosting before. The provider was using old servers which should be one of the reasons that my harddisk failed and the data was lost.

What would you consider new? If a client procured a (new) server for one month and cancelled, would you still consider that server new? Where do you draw the line with reprovisioning servers?

@SenseiSteve You've got a point there.

One month seems new to me. Maybe after a couple of years reprovisioning servers for dedicated hosting is okay but for a cheaper price. And the hosting provider needs to inform their customers that the servers they are using are considered second hand servers or refurbished servers.

@SenseiSteve You've got a point there.

One month seems new to me. Maybe after a couple of years reprovisioning servers for dedicated hosting is okay but for a cheaper price. And the hosting provider needs to inform their customers that the servers they are using are considered second hand servers or refurbished servers.

I don't consider my example as second hand or refurbished, rather reprovisioned. Providers have to purchase those servers and consequently have a return on their investment if they're to remain in business. For example, a 2020 model of a Lexus is still a 2020 model regardless of how many owners or drivers it has had.

I can't think of one provider that stocks new servers for new clients, or advertises new versus reprovisioned, rather at some point choses to advertise dated servers as bargain basement older technology.

And the one thing I learned as a technician, new or old servers alike both fail at times, so it's imperative to maintain remote backups.

When it comes to dedicated servers, most clients tend to be more hosting in-the-know, and understand the difference between new and reprovisioned. What they generally look for are specific processors, quantity and type of RAM, type of storage device, port speeds, quality of support and infrastructure, reputation and price.

Last edited:
Beyond finding which web hosts are out there, it's a matter of digging through different plans, comparing inclusions, and checking customer reviews. Check on the disk space allocation, bandwidth, security features, traffic flow, e-mail storage capacity, and the kind of multiple domain accounts.

On what necessarily to pay attention at the lease of server? What factors at the lease of server do have a qualificatory value, and what it is possible to ignore? Specify possibility of receipt of discounts on a server, even if these discounts are not pronounced officially.

If a project implies the lease of server on the protracted term, then it is advantageous to pay a lease for example on half-year, and discount about 10-15% at the lease of server on such term practically every provider is able to give.

Specify actual speed of network connection that is distinguished by a provider on a server. That a server is connected to Shared 100 Mbps to port, quite not means that you will be able to count on such speed. Probably, it will be given you stably 10-25 Mbps, with possibility of the use of port on 100% in lances.It is also important to know whether there is dividing of traffic by the incoming/outgoing, internal/foreign et cetera. Find out, what monthly volume of traffic you can expect on, and what terms his overrun is paid on. Obviously these limitations are specified far not always.

Specify, whether you deal with a new machine, or a server was before used. It is critically important, that on a server new hard disks were set! It is the most vulnerable element of the system, and if disks have normal test indexes even, but are not new - the risk of damage or loss of data increases because of their wear.

It is also necessary to specify, on what terms replacement of knots of server is produced on their leaving from a line-up. It must be produced free of charge and only due to a provider.

Whether your provider can to offer to you access to the management by a server through KVM (remote access to the server at vehicle level is possibility to set OS from a disk, to produce tuning of BIOS et cetera), and access to the remote management by a feed and restart of server.

It is very comfortable options, that, actually, reduce a necessity for product support services from the side of provider to the minimum. In addition, necessarily thoughtful about organization of backups, that will be placed on other server. Do not forget that safety of your data - it your personal responsibility only.

Last edited by a moderator:
You no longer need a programming guru to set up your site. You no longer need to be a computer guru to get a web site posted. Web hosting service has vastly improved since the beginning days of the internet.

The provider was using old servers which should be one of the reasons that my harddisk failed and the data was lost.

Pst! Always take backups ;)

And the one thing I learned as a technician, new or old servers alike both fail at times, so it's imperative to maintain remote backups.

This.

When it comes to dedicated servers, most clients tend to be more hosting in-the-know, and understand the difference between new and reprovisioned. What they generally look for are specific processors, quantity and type of RAM, type of storage device, port speeds, quality of support and infrastructure, reputation and price.

The tech savvy ones as sure like this, however we notice some leads just want to know it will work and the price, which can make it interesting if its not a managed solution as such. Someone told them they need a dedicated server so they just want to find one to run x, y or z.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Saranya Subramaniam