alternate control panels for hosting companies

hostgliders

Anybody here , is using alternate control panel other than cpanel or plesk . I know most web hosting companies are based on the above 2. But any different ? Likie zpanel or vesta control panel :rolleyes2 :rolleyes2

There is also ISPManager. Cheap too.

I prefer cPanel myself.

Cpanel is the best one and we have been using it for long time , but have a curiosity is there anyone using other control panel and have a fond with that.

May be we can try if it is free .

On some of my servers I use WebMin

Its easy to use Webmin specially If you are experienced otherwise it will take lots of hours to setup a simple site by reading broken tutorials.

I said broken tutorial because of most of tutorial on Webmin are not up-to-date or does not work as said by them in their tutorial.

I don't have any issue with Webmin so I recommended it as a alternative of cPanel.

Well, There is no such alternate for cpanel, if you are looking for stable and reliable solution you should go with cPanel without having any second thought. If you are looking for something which is easy and free and stable too then i would suggest you to go with VestaCP. I have been used vestacp couple of times and found very helpfull and relaible.

DirectAdmin is a great panel, we like it as it's easy to extend to do whatever new feature you need.

Hi,

There are are lot of open source panel available too, however, for a web hoster, it is important that the client gets to do what he needs for his website, so the client panel should be full of features for their ease of managing... CPanel ranks on top for this, then plesk, and then DirectAdmin...

If you are using a RedHat Flavor, you can also check the Centos Web Panel, a good one though, but if you want to sustain in the hosting market, you go to go with the flow, which is what most hosters does and choose cPanel, plesk, or directadmin..

Hosting companies depends on cPanel because it have a super support team, supported by most of client management software, and well coded.

If you are using a cheap or even an expensive panel which will not fix any bug or error 1 hour later from its appearance you may lose clients.

When I started my company I wrote my own in Perl CGI. It took me about 40 hours to write a script that would handle client orders. I knew nothing about software that I could buy. Even though I had used Plesk awhile back when I hosted my sites before having my own server, I hadn't thought about that. So I had this amazing script (It wasn't half bad and worked flawlessly) but I wasn't getting customers. So even though I felt good about the program I produced, visitors to my site saw it differently because they weren't buying hosting plans. And I have some pretty good plans.

I've used both Plesk and cPanel and have tried the DirectAdmin demo. They are all good. After getting rid of the one I wrote, the first one I used was Plesk because I had learned that well. Later I learned about cPanel and was frustrated a bit having to learn new software. So I added a server with cPanel and suddenly began getting orders. I found it is the most popular and once I learned it myself liked it better than Plesk even though Plesk is still a top choice.

I learned that in this business it's important to make it as easy for the client and give them the most you can. In my experience, cPanel does that best.

Last edited:
There are plenty of control panels. Anyone would make a choice between using the industry standard ones (the most used CPs) or any other less popular server automation software. If anyone wants to sell the business, they'd find the advantage of using any of the popular software applications. Most buyers would just ignore sellers who use any software automation product that requires more management effort or migration of the accounts.

If your looking for free ones then I gave sentora a try and it didn't seem all that bad, file manage isn't included as standard but ftp is fine by me. Seemed simple to use & I believe there is also a plugin for Blesta to automate setup and billing.

Paid I'd stick with cpanel, directadmin is a good choice but lack of plugins is what steered me away.

For a free plan i would recommend Centos Web Panel.

If allows you to migrate cpanel accounts, if also comes with CSF pre installed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hostys