Allow users to send SMS for emergency

BlackStorm

Anyone know of a free SMS gateway which I can add to my site to allow users to send an SMS message to my mobile/cell phone in the event of an emergency?
I would prefer a free one since I doubt it would be used too much but if you know a premium one please list that too
Thanks,
John

Check out iPiPi
Your network provider might also allow you to do this by having an email address for your phone.
Contact support of your provider and they will tell you if you have it available or not

Hi John thanks for the link. it looks good I am seeing if you can only allow messages to be sent to your mobile phone only, that way it would be ideal if anything goes down....

I checked that over a year ago with my provider but they said it couldnt be done.
i have GPRS WAP on my phone now but dont even have the number to dialup so that doesnt help much either..
Going to take a look around for the number now though

I shall be putting this on my new site... I want to give my users the ability to contact me when they want, and the way they want.. I don’t want to restrict them.

I use my phone's email address (phonenumber@cellprovider) as a contact for my server monitoring software. So if something goes down such as apache, ftp, email, etc... I will get an email to my cell phone telling me. That way no matter where I am I know there is a problem. Then if I cannot get to a computer I just foward the email to one of my techs and they will fix it.

Are you in the US or UK/Europe?
I have heard a few people from the US saying abut doing that but I dont know which (if any) providers in the UK offer that service.
Customer support for my mobile phone wasnt much help when i asked about this

Yeah I wanted to have it like that so clients could contact me but the provider wasnt able to help me.

As i said, I have GPRS WAP so there is probably some way to do it through that.
I am trying to find a way to access POP3 accounts through WAP, if i can do that then its just as good.
At the minute i cant even login to hotmail using the WAP though and dont know whats wrong.
It goes to the page to signin and wont let me login to the account.

That might be an alternative to using the SMS if you can access it regulary, you can also reply to the emails if you need to using the WAP connection