Kids Hosting

Status
Not open for further replies.

CMTHosting

Hi,

I'd like to hear your view's on kids hosting, before I had an account with JS Hosting, I was hosted by someone 15 and the account was fine for a while then he terminated it for NO reason :cry:

There are a few people I know in the hosting trade, which are under 17, I'd just thought I'd hear your view/option on kids hosting :agree:

I don't have a problem with it, but there must be legal stuff to follow :rolleyes:

Im 17 and I run a web-host. I hope people dont host with me just because of my age. There really are no legal restrions, as the minimum working age is 14 in MA.

-Were young men, not kids, lol

There really are no legal restrions, as the minimum working age is 14 in MA.
dubs, while I have no issues with young adults running a business, as long as they do it with their heart, and don't do it just to make some quick cash, and then run off (like the ones CMTHosting is referring to), there are restrictions.

For example, a person under the age of 18 cannot legally enter a contract without parental signature. This means....no TOS, not Privacy Policy, etc, which is serious for protection of both the business, and the consumer.

I'm against children who are in it for the money, and to rip people off. I'm not against a young adult trying to make something of themselves....I've certain been there (God it seems so long ago. Now you all are making me feel old lol). In fact, we need more young adults, in today's society, taking control, and responsibility, and trying to change for the better.

I am definately not going to run off with some quick cash. I want to build a quality business that will hopefully be succesful in the coming years.

Young Adult/Teen Hosting

Dubs I hope you didn’t find my post offence I just wanted to know everyone’s option with young adult/teen hosting. :agree:

Yeah, np. May I ask what hosting company you previously hosted with ( the 15yr old one)?

CMTHosting said:
Dubs I hope you didn’t find my post offence I just wanted to know everyone’s option with young adult/teen hosting. :agree:
Whatever dubs is saying is music to my ears (Black Eyed Peas preferably). :D

On a side note, in all honesty, I do not think that younger people should run any business, especially in a web hosting industry due to all the demands and requirements. Being entrepreneurial is a good thing, and its what I've been trying to promote while being the president of an entrepreneurship association, but there are issues like consistency, education and business responsibility they have to put up with on a daily basis. Knowing that most kids cannot handle it (they want to hang out with their friends, play games, etc), then its their customer who is going to suffer. That reflects back on the whole industry in return.

Best,

Art,
Well said. Ill give it to you. I must say though, so far, with my business, I am not getting a high demand of support from my customers. As (or if) we get bigger, and the customers need more support, I will A. Use personal time of my life and answer them or B. Hire a support manager. Again, nice post and I see your points, but im still gonna run my business :agree:

I've wanted to get into the web hosting industry since the age of 16. This was something I was interested in started, but I decided after all the researched I've done, I was best for me to wait till I was 18. Then just last year, I started <<my web hosting company>>. This is more like a hobby than a business to me, as I do enjoy the nature of providing support and setting up new clients and what not. Now 19, and my web hosting service being a year old and slowly growing. I have no desire to pull the plug or to pull back from. This was my dream and now I'm living it. I'm doing something I enjoy doing.

Last edited by a moderator:
dubs, as long as not a single customer is suffering due to company's negligence or inability to deliver satisfactory service due to ANY reason, personal or professional, there shouldn't be any problem as to the age of owner/immediate manager or environment the company is operating in.

Best,

The problem with kids hosting are obvious. We have seen it on may forums.
They may have great intentions and their service may seem adequate but what happens when the server goes down and they are at school?

What happens if you need to ask configuration questions but they are not there because they are at school?

Hosting is not a difficult business when things are all running smoothly. What differentiates a good host from a bad one is how they deal with problems when they occur.

This is not exclusive to kids hosting but it is more frequent.
We have read about hosts who go on vacation with no backup support and no internet access while on vacation.
Bad judgement is not restricted to the young.

Last edited:
Yes, agreed Blue, but as my company gets bigger, I will be on summer break so I will be around alot to handle such problems.

On the school issue, I do have that covered as I am fortunate enough to have a laptop on hand during my classes, if i get an email alert, I'm able to resolve the situation asap. :)

TiNner said:
I am fortunate enough to have a laptop on hand during my classes, if i get an email alert, I'm able to resolve the situation asap. :)
Not unless you are in the middle of the quiz. :devil:

One thing kids, and adults need to remember is web hosting is a tough dog eat dog world.

Web Hosting is an enjoyable experience. I started at the age of 13, very young. I partnered with a college student at the time, who was very experienced in business. He was more of a mentor then a partner as he taught me a whole lot of things. We did everything by the book, legal registrations, copyrights to designs and servers, etc.

It's not about the age, but about proper planning. The company is still in operation to this day with stock and a board of directors. I am no longer affiliated with the business, but I do act as a consultant from time to time on a one time employment deal if you understand me.

Proper planning is the key to a successful business. I too made a crucial error when doing this. My partner recently ran off leaving me cold and dry so I had to put the business up for sale.

However the sale has closed because I decided to go at it alone with proper planning. I opened up last night and I already have two clients. The two keywords in any business, but especially web hosting, is proper planning and good advertising.

Young or old, if you have the heart, the determination and the willingness to succeed, anything is possible. I've been involved in web hosting for 7 years, and im here to help PEOPLE.

That's what you've got to learn, customers are people and you should treat them like people, and not customers. Be interactive, show support and love for your business. If you show you care about your business, they will host with you for a long period of time.

To all who want to break into this business, plan it out first, be in it for the right reasons, and most important of all, care about people. Without those, no matter who you are, or what you do, you won't succeed.

Best Wishes!

Backtracking to the first post.

I'm currently 17, and I've been waiting to launch the hosting division of my website and design business Microvisuals.com (will be microvisuals.net). I'm holding on for another week (a week saturday to be exact) until I am legally old enough to enter into written and signed contracts, without parental consent and co-signatures.

It's taken a massive dip into my plans and also my schedule, but I believe the wait will be worth it, to put my clients minds at rest and also my own.

I have no quarrels with 'kids' hosting, I've never been hosted by any however. If they run a tight ship, and everything goes smoothly then fair play to them, they deserve credit for setting a good example.

Status
Not open for further replies.